Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meadsprings worth it? Potential fix for valve noise?

I ordered a set of the lights for my JP274 - I think they are marginally better than the stock springs for valves 1,2, and 3 - and worse for the 4th valve. I do think they are nice springs, but I am not sure they were intended for this instrument as they seem narrower in diameter than the original springs and I don't think they are seating properly - certainly not at all for my 4th valve. I am now using the stock spring on my 4th valve to eliminate the very annoying clicking.

I have the “regular strength” Mead springs in all my currently horns (JP274, Virtuoso, and Q41S). I was hooked on them back in 2012-ish when I bought a set for my Schiller horn.

I haven’t noticed any clicking nor any other extraneous noises attributed to the springs.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

3. I used the regular mead springs on my Prestige for years and loved them.

I ordered the light version for my Yamaha Neo and because of the way the bottom of the valves extend out, even the light version gives too much spring tension and causes some wrist pain. The stock coated Yamaha springs give me too much bounce and noise. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've just reached out to Steven for his recommendation as well. Maybe the baritone/non-comp euph springs would work.
    Last edited by Jasonium; 03-28-2023 at 06:38 PM.
    Yamaha Neo 642TSII
    Denis Wick SM4 Ultra X

I've used the original Mead Springs in my Sovereign for years now and I swear by them. Iirc I put a first-valve spring in my 4th valve though because otherwise it wouldn't come up fast enough for my liking... although I can't remember if I put a 4th valve spring in the 4th valve when I replaced them 2 years ago

By the way, does anyone know if the Mead springs fit in Willson valves, or are they too long? Since the stock springs in Willsons are a lot smaller I've not tried that yet but I've always felt that the valve action in mine was a bit 'loose' for my liking, but I don't want to accidentally screw up anything by trying it out willy-nilly.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Quote Originally Posted by TheJH View Post
    I've used the original Mead Springs in my Sovereign for years now and I swear by them. Iirc I put a first-valve spring in my 4th valve though because otherwise it wouldn't come up fast enough for my liking... although I can't remember if I put a 4th valve spring in the 4th valve when I replaced them 2 years ago

By the way, does anyone know if the Mead springs fit in Willson valves, or are they too long? Since the stock springs in Willsons are a lot smaller I've not tried that yet but I've always felt that the valve action in mine was a bit 'loose' for my liking, but I don't want to accidentally screw up anything by trying it out willy-nilly.
    No issue in a 2900.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    No issue in a 2900.
    Used the regular Mead springs also in the JP374, two Jinbao stencils (Schiller and Monzani), and the Adams E3.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

I use the mead light springs in my Dolce and they work really well.
    JP374 Sterling + Mercer and Barker GW3

Quote Originally Posted by mbrooke View Post
    No issue in a 2900.

Mike
    Thanks, I will give them a try then

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12