Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: FS: Sterling Virtuoso 4-Valve Euphonium In Silver/Gold w Trigger

1. Arnie,

As the purchaser of your long-ago Besson 2051, I can assure you that the Sterling has a much more full sound and slightly better intonation. I purchased the 2051 from you in 2007 and then visited the Sterling shop in the UK in the summer of 2008, per prior arrangement from Dave W., trying a number of instruments. I fell in love with the brand then and there and purchased mine after an audition of two raw brass horns built to identical spec in the summer of 2009. I note that Trevor Groom was invited by Paul Riggett to join me in auditioning the two instruments and I ended up with a horn almost identical to Trevors, save a 300mm bell instead of 305mm (12").

I kept the 2051 until 2013 in parallel with the Sterling, it eventually being replaced by my Adams in 2017. I still love my Virtuoso, but find it takes more out of me than my Adams, so will be departing ways with it in the near future.

I hope you enjoy yours and welcome you to the Sterling club!

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

You’ll probably be playing full time with your new horn the same time I’ll be back at it (carpal tunnel release recovery for me…local shop once over for you).

I just briefly blew on my JP374 (and did not immediately prefer it to the JP274. ). Will do a couple weeks comparing them.

anyways…CONGRATS!!
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Good luck putting your JP374 through its paces (and good luck in your recovery). Way back when I was trying to decide between the JP274 and 374, I was swayed by the review Matonizz did on the 274; and he still uses it as his backup horn and in some cases, as his demo horn in duos he does with one of his colleagues for his Patreon followers. I think you'll be quite happy with the 274. But with the 374, you can experiment with the tuning slide, so having both is not a bad condition to be in. As for the Carpal Tunnel, best of luck. As our bodies get older, they complain more.
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
    Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
    Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
    Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
    Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Yeah, Matonizz has told me directly that he is not a fan of the JP374.

I’ve also chatted with folks who prefer their JP374 over several pro horns (namely, Besson Prestige and Miraphone 5050).

Amazingly subjective. Hard to ignore the ARMY or folks they seem to absolutely adore the JP274 though.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Speaking of Matonizz…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DF9A865D-CCB1-4FE8-924F-229C9F3398E0.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	9755
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Congrats to Algirdas Matonis. Those students are getting an excellent tutor.
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
    Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)

Arnie,

Glad to hear the Sterling arrived safely and will be put to good use. As far as the trigger goes, I found that it could stick in the extended position if it was quickly pressed with the tuning slide already pulled 3/4 inch or so. A slower, smoother touch on the paddle worked best. I believe I used a small amount of Yamaha trombone slide cream to lubricate it, but you can experiment with that. I had my repair tech hone the edges of the slide tubing legs, and I think I used a little Flitz polish on them right after I got the horn. Most seem to agree that triggers are fiddly, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. Hope you enjoy the horn.

Tom

Thanks Tom: I'm already enjoying the horn. The case you sent it to me in seems to be a company from Cornwall, which I find interesting. Can you tell me any more about the history of the horn such as when it was made, how many previous owners, where you purchased it from?

Thanks so much for the packing job you did on it. Not a scratch that I can detect and UPS ground can be brutal.

I'm so grateful for you in exercising flexibility in how we could get the horn to me; I'm totally impressed by how everything went and will always think positive thoughts about you when I pick up the horn. I've watched your two performances on June 28 at the Presbyterian church probably about 30 times. You sounded great. I hope your go-to horn you are now using gives you many years of pleasure.
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams

It's thanks to you, Dave, that I even knew it was available. You have likely helped countless people connect to the euphonium that was meant for them. You are amassing quite an amazing amount of positive karma.
    Arnold (Arnie) Williams

Quote Originally Posted by tjjc View Post
    Arnie,

Glad to hear the Sterling arrived safely and will be put to good use. As far as the trigger goes, I found that it could stick in the extended position if it was quickly pressed with the tuning slide already pulled 3/4 inch or so. A slower, smoother touch on the paddle worked best.
    Mine would occasionally stick, too, but I'd just begun using trombotine on my trombone at the behest of a buddy, and found that it works magic on my Sterling slide, too.
    My trigger was also clicking (bottoming out) on the valve assembly, and a wrap of silicone friction tape resolved that.
    I quick-rinse my horn after every session, and found that beveling the brass slide rod's end made for an easier re-assembly of the main slide.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast