Thread: Willson 2950TA Leather Guards?

Willson 2950TA Leather Guards?

Hi all! I've been scouring the internet trying to find someone who is making leather hand guards to replace my old beat 8 year old set.

For reference, my horn is a Willson 2950TA in silver plate.

If anyone has any leads to someone currently making a set, please let me know!

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by mholbrook; 11-29-2022 at 05:43 PM.

Welcome to the forum!

There is a company doing a good job with, and some of our members have used them. You can search or browse around the forum, but with a little luck one of those folks will jump in and give you the details!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Been looking for some for my E3 as well.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

4. I have been very pleased with the products I’ve used from Leather Specialties. Their web site, which used to be clunky but functional, is currently under revision.

https://lscoguard.com/

It does contain contact information and they have always responded quickly to me in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    I have been very pleased with the products I’ve used from Leather Specialties. Their web site, which used to be clunky but functional, is currently under revision.

https://lscoguard.com/

It does contain contact information and they have always responded quickly to me in the past.
    Ahh. I did contact them in the past. They have guards for the 2900. Nothing currently for the Adams horns (not familiar with them). I wonder if any of these would be suitable for the E3 (or the 2950 the OP is curious about):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boob.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	9662

I offered to take pictures, take measurements, etc. But they did not appear interested.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

I made Adam E3 templates and was going to send to Tom Black, owner of LSOGuard, but never got around to it. For now, I cut out leather and felt and made my own guards from the templates. I also wanted to get another bottom bell guard that he made for me for my Besson to put on my Adam E3 (it fits). He emailed me about a week ago that he was starting on making that for me.

I will probably mail all my templates to him soon. The ones I made are not perfect, but they do the job. I glued the felt to the leather and then had the edges sewn.

So Tom Black is now the owner? Larry Black, Tom’s father, started LSCO (Leather Specilaties Co) 40 or 50 yrs. ago I think it was. Larry played trumpet with the Atlanta Symphony for a long time and was one of Chris Martin’s early trumpet teachers.

Brief video of Larry Black and LSCO:
    Last edited by RickF; 11-30-2022 at 10:30 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

So, is this the company Dave was referencing? (Hoping not, since they don’t seem all that interested in new business nor accommodating additional horns.)
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

The father who owned the company retired and the son who decided to take over moved the shop to I believe another state, and this took months. I believe he has a job outside of the shop but decided to carry on his father's legacy. It took months to move the shop and hence they had a big backlog to work through. Supposedly the father will become partially active in 2023 for special orders.

He claimed to be working on my Besson lower bell guard that I that fits the Adam E3. He emailed me that he was starting after I had not contacted him for months. If he is willing to take my other Adam E3 templates and make them, I will let the forum know.

Being they are the only shop in town, we sometimes need to have patience.