Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best budget deals on new chinese horns - my thoughts

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I think it is clear that although JP is not rebranding their own product for other company's stencils, the same design in that factory is being used with greater or lesser modifications for other stencils. My Dillon 967 is case in point. I spoke with Matt at Dillon about this, and he thought they were definitely manufactured at the same factory, and yes, Dillon sells both lines of instruments. I don't know how much the modifications Dillon made gave rise to differences in tone, response, etc. that I noticed, but it is obvious that there are many commonalities between these instruments.

I don’t mind beating a dead horse.

If Dillion, John Packer, and *those-other-guys* all get their horns from the came factory, even with some individual modifications…then they are all selling stencil horns.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

A few more thoughts on the budget instruments:

-It sounds like there are basically two popular stencil lines, probably from different factories. One is the Wessex/Mack/Jinbao and the other is JP/ACB/etc. It sounds like maybe Schiller has sold both and I don't know about Dillons.
    -I think it's an open question if one set of stencils (the JP line) is generally better than the other (the Wessex line). Larry has said he likes the JP line and thinks they're more durable, but we'd have to hear from more people who have been playing on the JP line for years to to know for sure.
    -Vintage seems to matter some. It sounds like the Mack/Wessex/Jinbao horns have improved in several ways in the last years (threading, mp, etc.).
    -Quality control can be an issue. I saw an FB post by a guy who tried to buy the same $450 trumpet his friend bought, but his came with a lot of imperfections and problems and he negotiated a discount but is selling it on for a $100 because he's just not happy with it.

They're all good instruments!
    Jupiter 462 & 470, XO 1270
    Stork 4.5 mouthpiece

Well, I’ve owned two Jinbao horns (Schiller and Monzani) and two JP horns.

The JP horns are objectively better.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

JP274s back in stock at Capital Music Gear. Currently accepting offers of $1310 (shipped).
    Cheaper then when they were last in stock.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

6. When you say objectively better, is that just from a fit and finish/durability standpoint, or are the playing characteristics significantly better as well? I've been considering getting either a Monzani or cheapest Thomann compensator, which seems to have the same tubing layout as the JPs. I've seen from your other comments that you speak highly of both.

Quote Originally Posted by dgerdem View Post
    When you say objectively better, is that just from a fit and finish/durability standpoint, or are the playing characteristics significantly better as well? I've been considering getting either a Monzani or cheapest Thomann compensator, which seems to have the same tubing layout as the JPs. I've seen from your other comments that you speak highly of both.
    The JP/Thomann/ACB horns are more durable and have better fit and finish.

I think the Jinbao 1150 euphs are great. (And they have made improvements…especially in the, previously, sketchy valve cap threading.)

All are amazing deals (and sound quite good). But, yes, you get a better quality horn with the former.
    Last edited by iMav; 01-16-2024 at 04:15 AM.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

8. I'm pretty careful with my stuff, especially my brass stuff, so I might be okay with a more easily damaged instrument. Those JP274 deals you mentioned are extremely tempting though. Thanks for the comment!

Quote Originally Posted by dgerdem View Post
    Those JP274 deals you mentioned are extremely tempting though. Thanks for the comment!
    Both a JP274 shipped for ~$1300 and the Monzani (Jinbao 1150) shipped for under $700 are amazing deals. For those on a tight budget (and even those that are simply frugal), it is a good time to be a euphonium player!

Our local college (and many local high schools) have standardized on John Packer for their school-provided brass instruments...that tells you a bit about their durability.

My cousin(-in-law? wife's cousin ) currently plays a lacquer Monzani 1150 that I gave him as a gift. (he played way back in high school and lost his horn to a family farm fire back in the 1990s) He is now ready to join a local community band and MAY join me at adult camp at the end of the summer (International Music Camp).
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Yes, the John Packer JP274 is a very good, reasonably priced Euphonium. It's made for them by the Ovis Company in Tianjin, China. I visited the factory in 2011 and was impressed by their engineering. On a separate note, my company (Heavy Bottom Caps) manufactures the full Euphonium range Adjustable Heavy Bottoms Caps which are selling very well worldwide. I'm possibly visiting the US next week (Boston and Los Angeles) and wondered if there were any music universities I could visit and show our ABCs to players/teachers? Any help much appreciated. Chris www.heavybottomcaps.co.uk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast