Thread: Do Your Slides Not Move Smoothly?

Do Your Slides Not Move Smoothly?

Now and then a little polishing is useful on the legs of tuning slides. It makes a remarkable difference in how smoothly they move! You CAN get by with just slide grease, but the action will feel so much better if you keep the slide's surfaces nice and shiny.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flitz on Tuning Slide.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	820.5 KB 
ID:	9640
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I know you've also recommended flitz for occasional polishing of pistons, but you've said something along the lines of "be careful around the ports," and I'm curious what the danger is there? Accidentally opening the ports a little too wide?
    Nicholas
    Shires Q41s
    Alliance DC3/K&G 4+

Quote Originally Posted by UglyGrayDuck View Post
    I know you've also recommended flitz for occasional polishing of pistons, but you've said something along the lines of "be careful around the ports," and I'm curious what the danger is there? Accidentally opening the ports a little too wide?
    Just caution on my part, not based on any bad experience. The edge is a joint of stainless steel, brass, and solder. And any polishing you do is apt to affect edges more than flat surfaces. That's all that is behind my caution.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks so much to Dave for providing this suggestion. The 3rd valve slide action on my Dillon 967 was just a bit stiffer than I preferred. I used Flitz as per Dave’s suggestion, and the action is now much better. This wasn’t something that was bad enough to take to a repair person, but the stiff action compared to the rest of the slides was annoying, and now all is well - thanks again Dave!
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone