Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adams euphonium: with trigger or without?

Question Adams euphonium: with trigger or without?

Dear euphonium players,

I've been a silent reader in this forum so far and I hope that it is okay to ask a first question now.

I'm about to buy an Adams euphonium and I'm wondering if it was wise to opt for a trigger or not. As the Adams instruments are supposed to have a very good intonation, I'd be very interested in your opinions and your advice with regard to this issue.

Kind regards
    Kat

pro:
    -you can adjust some notes so you can blow through the center of the slot and not have to bend pitches

con:
    -adds weight
    -requires maintenance
    -adams mechanism isn't the smoothest and lightest mechanism
    -reportedly affects response (weight distribution on the instrument, tuning slide fit not as tight)

seems like a lot more cons than pros, but if you personally like playing with it there then that one pro is a pretty big deal.
    --
    Barry

Nice summary, Barry!

If there were no cons, I would have a trigger. (I have one additional "con" because of an old wrist injury that leaves my left wrist more sensitive to extra weight and reach.)

On a philosophical note, I mentally wrestle with the "what-if" of having a trigger for myself. I'm working toward a recital for this weekend, and my chops are much stronger right now than they usually are. That enables, or causes, me to blow some notes sharper than normal when I'm really getting into the music. That means either my brain likes being sharp, or my chops are not used to finding it physically easier to play pitches in the upper half of the range...or both. My natural tendency is saying I NEED to control this! That is probably true, but if I had a trigger right this minute I'd find it useful...or a crutch. See the debate?

Looking at the long term for a euphonium player, limiting unneeded weight is a good thing. Our bodies may start to object to holding 10+ pounds in front of our natural center of gravity, and our left wrist may find it wearing to add a trigger to its duties. (Along those lines, I highly recommend the Comfy Euph Strap to help our bodies with the task.)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I have said before that if I were to buy a high-end euph, it would be with a trigger, simply because I'd rather have one and not need it than need it and not have it. That is still my position. I don't buy the advertising hype that the horn is good enough without a trigger, and as for testimony from expert players supporting that position -- well, everyone's experience is different.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

5. Trigger is worth it.

Especially if the ensemble have them. Because it sounds so obvious when you’re the only one out of tune.

If no one has or uses their trigger, then the chances are you also won’t use it, because you will all be out of tune, but relative to each other, which is less noticeable to the majority of listeners.

It does of course add weight and change the distribution of that weight, but is it more than 200 grams? it’s just a few rods a pedal and a few springs and screws, I think that the HBC valve caps are way more of an impact weight and tone wise than the trigger mechanism.

Maintenance is a bit of slide grease and slightly more fiddly when cleaning, it’s really no big deal.

Crutch sure, but the euphonium has inherent intonation struggles that no brands design has avoided completely, so until they do, than a trigger is worth it as an overall compromise, one that seems to be good enough for the professionals anyway.

Kat,

In case you have never had a trigger, you need to be aware that is has outward motion only. That is, it can only fix notes that are sharp. Having said, every euphonium I have tested has at least some sharp notes. (Most also have some flat notes, which you have to deal with in the old-fashioned ways.)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks a lot for your help. I can see now that a trigger definitely has several advantages and disadvantages which I should weigh up one against another before taking a decision.

My Adams E2 has one, but I rarely use it. The intonation really is great without it, and I'm not a fan of its ergonomics.

(edit: I'm not a professional musician, and my 'main instruments' have lots of cat gut strings that are basically always out of tune so my opinion might not matter that much. Since you're in Schwarzwald you might consider driving to Adams to try some instruments yourself...)
    Last edited by deVisée; 04-11-2023 at 03:20 PM.
    Adams E2 Custom Series - SS Bell
    Besson 765 4v non-comp

I Have one, don't use it, don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBj View Post
    I have said before that if I were to buy a high-end euph, it would be with a trigger, simply because I'd rather have one and not need it than need it and not have it. That is still my position. I don't buy the advertising hype that the horn is good enough without a trigger, and as for testimony from expert players supporting that position -- well, everyone's experience is different.
    I don’t see it as “advertising hype”. Adams is not promoting this. I read it from owners. I made the decision to pass on the trigger and have no regrets. For me the only consistently sharp notes are first and second valve combinations (Concert D and G) and some Db and Gb’s. To me it’s not worth the complication, weight and added cost.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast