Thread: Home spit-valve solution

Home spit-valve solution

I've been playing Euph again since early September, however today was the first time the subject of where I empty the water from my horn came up with long-term girlfriend. When it was revealed that I was just emptying it on the carpet as I had when I was in middle and high school living at my parents' house, she became very upset (she doesn't do well with spit or anything that can be interpreted as such). I have agreed to put a towel down to empty my horn onto, however I'm wondering if there is some new-fangled device or solution one of you has heard of to dispose of the "spit" from the horn. Let me know if you've come across anything!
    Nicholas
    Shires Q41s
    Alliance DC3/K&G 4+

I also use a towel on the ground, and whenever I need to pull slides to empty them I just pour them into the sink.

Largely because of COVID, I purchased one of these for use at church. It is quite effective!

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Spit.../dp/B08FZ43X92

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spit Catcher.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	521.9 KB 
ID:	9612
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

The solution I chose was to use a typical cafeteria tray with a microfiber towel - absorbs, solid barrier protecting carpet/pad/floor, and it slides under my chair when not practicing.

https://a.co/d/iZFR9TI
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Ever since I started back to playing I’ve used a black hand towel at home to catch the water (90% is water or condensation) from the spit valve. Since Covid I also use one at band rehearsal and on stage for concerts. Just have to remember to remove towel from inside the bell where I put it after rehearsal or concert after I get home.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    When we buy Stouffer's Lasagna at the grocery store (frozen foods), it comes in a sort of plastic like container for cooking. After we cook and eat it, I wash out the container, and it makes an excellent vessel for emptying my spit valves and slides. When done practicing, I just slide it under a piece of furniture (bookshelf) in my music room. This idea works around home. I now have several, so I should always have a good, serviceable one for use. At rehearsal, I usually use a drip cloth/towel, and when done with rehearsal, put it in a Ziplock plastic bag. Every so often, Linda will wash the cloth for me.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

7. At home I use yesterday's (or last week's) newspaper. It's coming in regulary and easy to dispose after use. Even for teaching/rehearsing in my home studio I have always plenty at hand. When playing at other places I have always a towel with me.
    The towel works great, last week my trombone neighbour spilled a bottle of beer onto it, but the floor stayed dry!