Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovery of chops after lip cancer removal?

Recovery of chops after lip cancer removal?

It's official -- I have a skin cancer on my upper lip. I have an appointment to have it removed with my usual face-cutter (a plastic surgeon) the day after Community Band's Christmas concert. The band is on a 6-week hiatus after that, which will give me 4 weeks to heal completely (as recommended), and two weeks to try to get my chops back.If anyone in the group has ever had anything like this done, I would like to read about your experience.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lip Cancer.jpg  
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)

Ouch! But I don't see much in the photo. I've never had skin cancer, but I have had several pre-cancerous "things/spots" removed. One was on my lower lip in the edge of the red area. It was frozen off. The spot healed just fine functionally, but that spot is lighter in color (the spot looks white in some lighting, but not so much here in natural light).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lip.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	372.9 KB 
ID:	9607
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

This is my 5th or 6th rodeo with facial skin cancer removal, same doc every time. He's a plastic surgeon, and I can't find a single scar from the carving that he has done. Obviously there will be scarring here, because part of the red of the lip is involved.
    David Bjornstad

Good luck with the surgery David. It sounds like you have an excellent Dr. to take care of the skin cancer. Living in South FL for over 60 yrs. where the sun seems to always shine, I've had a few skin cancers and numerous pre-cancers removed. I'm guessing you Dr. will perform a 'Mohs' procedure first then what ever is necessary with plastic surgery. I've had two 'Mohs' surgery that left no scaring but never performed on my lips. I do have a lesion on my lower lip that I was concerned about a few years ago. My dermatologist diagnosed it as a 'venous lake' which is a benign vascular tumor. Thankfully no action was required.

I wish you all the best in your recovery.
    Last edited by RickF; 11-18-2022 at 04:43 PM.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

5. I have an older friend who had an operation on his lower lip. He hasn't fared as well. He had a big needle inserted into his lower lip, and it has been the lasting effects from the needle rather than the main procedure that has left him in a bit of pain when he plays. But it sounds like your Dr. has all of this under control. Best of luck.

Surgery was two days ago, and it's feeling better all the time. Mostly I don't even notice it, but if I stretch my upper lip over my teeth, that pulls on the stitches, and I can feel it. He did a short vertical cut, five stitches to close; they come out a week from today. There's still what feels like a little numb spot at the lower end of the incision, but it's been only two days; lots of time for that to clear up.
    David Bjornstad

Glad to hear you're doing well post-surgery, Dave. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you're playing again soon!

Sounds like you are on a good track. Just behave yourself and don't rush it! We who enjoy playing can find it very difficult to not just jump back into difficult stuff. Patience and a methodical approach will be rewarded.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Glad to hear the surgery went well and it’s healing well. Be patient on getting back to playing.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Patience is indeed the keyword. The doc agrees with the advice that I have been given -- massage therapy after the stitches come out, and wait a full month from the date of the op before starting up again.
    David Bjornstad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast