Thread: Wallace practice mute

1. Wallace practice mute

I bought a Wallace euphonium practice mute. How does one adjust the sound dampening? No instructions were included. It was expensive and I do not want to damage it. Thanks for helping me out here.

Don’t have a Wallace practice mute but did find a video showing how to adjust for sound and resistance BUT it’s for trumpet. Hopefully similar. Drag playback forward about 6 mins 10 secs for Wallace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w4UbIPzZzU
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Hi, to adjust the resistance push the gizmo thingy in the tube in the centre of the mute with a pencil. As it moves down the tube the resistance changes. Eventually it falls out of the bottom of the tube. Put it back in the other end and start again. Stop when it's right for you. Cheers PJ.

4. Thank you, Rick F and PJ. From the trumpet mute video and PJ's comments, I discovered the small metal adjuster at the bottom of the vertical tube inside the mute which popped out when I pushed it down with a pen. I can now re-insert it to the desired position for damping the sound. Problem solved. Thank you both!