Thread: Experience with MB GW mouthpiece

1. Experience with MB GW mouthpiece

Hi,

I’m curious on your experiences with the Mercer & Barker GW mouthpiece….
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F

I am interested to hear if anyone has any experience with this mouthpiece. They seem to have a fairly big range these days for such a young company and I don't really understand all of it but I expect the GW mouthpieces are good if they've dragged Glyn away from his old reliable SM4
    Adams E2 | K&G 4D+

3. Glyn was on a SM5 before he switched

Ah I didn't realise! I just assumed he would use a 4 as that seems to be the smallest size used in brass bands on euphonium and he seems too old school to use a 3
    Adams E2 | K&G 4D+

5. The cup is deeper than an SM3, is very comfortable and being smaller helps support the high range. SM3 highest note is top D (C concert pitch) GW 5 highest note is top G (concert F).

I do prefer the openness of the tone on the SM3, but with the current technical requirements of modern test pieces having a slight sacrificial approach to tone and gaining stamina, range and clarity of articulation is worth it.

I have the ET4F as well but not getting on with it as I find my flexibility suffered, but comfort is better with the flatter rim…

I had a look at the stall at the Areas but there seemed to be only a handful of mouthpieces on display and not very well organised. However they do seem to be going for endorsements very heavily. Had a look but didn’t see anything that caught my fancy. I will probably go back to a 4AL - it worked for Lyndon Baglin, Bob Childs, Graham McEvoy, and Morgan Griffiths and I played my best on one, so perhaps keep it simple, keep it comfortable, keep it familiar!
    Nowt

Retired

After a quick look at their website, It seems that there are several GW euphonium pieces - I assume the numbers next to the GW indicate the rim size - I would also venture that cup depth is the same across these - does anyone know?
    - Scott

Euphoniums: Dillon 967, Monzani MZEP-1150S, Dillon 1067 (kid’s horn)
    Bass Trombones: Greenhoe GB5-3G, Getzen 1052FDR, JP232
    King Jiggs P-bone

8. GW Mouthpieces have the same depth. Others specs are as below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MB MPC.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	10365
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MB MPC.jpg  
    Euphonium: Adams E3 Custom Series (SS Bell)
    Trombone: Benge 175F