Quote Originally Posted by aroberts781 View Post
This feels like a ramble, but I am just having trouble figuring out how the DE pieces would work to have a single, consistent DE rim that would fit and work well with different cup/shank arrangements to cover small bore, euph, and bass bone setups. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with this?
As I understand it, each "series" is listed as being somewhat similar to a specific mouthpiece, like how the ST is "kind of" like a bach 12C/11C, the MT like a 7C, and the LT like a 5G. But that's just the starting point. There is an overlap in rim sizes, and also with the different cups and shanks you can really dial in what you are looking for.

I know others have commented on this already, but each rim is specific to a "series", so the LT rim will only fit LT Cups, etc. So you can't always use the exact same rim, unless you stay within the series. The are specific to the cup letter. I also believe there will be some difference between an LT 104 E / 4* setup and an XT 104 E / 4 * in terms of feel, as the XT cups may be a bit wider overall, so even if the depth is the same, there is more "space". The "series" is basically decided by the size of the "interface" where the threading is between the rim and the cup. So, the EUPH series has a slightly larger "interface" than the XT, which is why it can also be used for some bass trombone uses.

Even within these "limitations" however, you can still stay within the LT series and make a mouthpiece suitable for alto. You can also get a nice "middle of the road" mouthpiece, and have several shanks for it based on which trombone you are playing with it.