Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F A Reynolds

F A Reynolds

Hi All,
    I just acquired an F A Reynolds Euphonium. It is very well preserved and I made it playable today. It is engraved Made By F A Reynolds Cleveland O. It also has the engraving U S beneath the rim of the bell. The bell measures 11.25 in across and the overall length is about 30 in. It has a conical bore b7t since I have not removed the valve slides yet, I don't know the bore size yet. I do have the main tuning slide out. It plays well, at least to my abilities....The horn came with its case and a Vincent Bach 8 mouthpiece. To say the least, I'm thrilled with the horn! It's in excellent condition! Thank you for reading my post!

F A Reynolds

Howzabout some pictures!! ;-)
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Was Reynolds competing with Conn? This look like the 24 I/j, right?

Does anyone have a Family Tree of makers during this time period?

Can't wait to see the pictures. Prior military band horn, I presume? I have a Reynolds trumpet with the same US engraving... rumored to have been owned by the Navy Band.
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    Was Reynolds competing with Conn? This look like the 24 I/j, right?

Does anyone have a Family Tree of makers during this time period?
    I don't know of a connection. But there a soft-of "standard design" for these American horns. They look more similar if they have straight bells. On bell-front models, I could see a distinction on the curve for King vs. Conn vs. Olds, for example. With straight bells, an Olds might stand out because the valves are more perpendicular to the main tubes. The others seem more similar, but I never really tried to identify small differences in brace location and such. Holton, Buescher, and Reynolds followed the same basic design as Conn/King/Olds. There was also not a lot of change in these designs over several decades.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Reynolds and Conn

I also have a beautiful C.G. Conn, alto/tenor horn pitched in E flat that was made in 1942.
    It's my understanding that Reynolds was one of a few band instrument makers that was not shut down by the US government. Reynolds was contracted by the government to provide military bands with instruments. Other companies like Conn were basically out of the instrument making business by June of 1942. After that time, any instruments made by Conn were engraved with some version of US...USN for the navy, for example. Conn actually retooled to make various things like compasses. I also have a Conn made dip needle, and a radioactive altimeter (out in the garage). So, no real competition between Conn and Reynolds. Reynolds had a more or less exclusive set of contracts.
    Once I figure out how to post pics, I will do that!
    As to a model number, I have no clue. Bell up, 11.25 in Bell, overall length, 30 in. I don't know bore size yet. The horn was found in its case in a closet after about a 40 year rest. The valve slides are treated with penetrating fluid. The 2nd valve slide is still in the horn.

The group of pics will only be available for a few days. Using Dropbox and I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast