Thread: K&G Plating Issues

K&G Plating Issues

Hey all,
    I bought a K&G 4D from Dillon Music back in October and have been using it for around a month now. Everything was going great until about last week, when I noticed some of the plating was wearing off. I'm a sweaty guy lol but I've never had a mouthpiece wear this bad. Do I just have a dud? Currently talking to Dillon Music about a return, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3611.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	9549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3612.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	9550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3613.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	9551

Quote Originally Posted by SamMcHenry00 View Post
    Hey all,
    I bought a K&G 4D from Dillon Music back in October and have been using it for around a month now. Everything was going great until about last week, when I noticed some of the plating was wearing off. I'm a sweaty guy lol but I've never had a mouthpiece wear this bad. Do I just have a dud? Currently talking to Dillon Music about a return, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue. Thanks!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3611.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	9549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3612.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	9550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3613.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	9551
    Hey Sam,

I have a bunch of K&G pieces, and I've not experienced this either on silver or gold - I assume this is a fluke.

Mike
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

I have a dozen of both silver and gold plated K&G mouthpieces and they are all still in perfect condition. Your piece will have been an unfortunate isolated case.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

It’s good to know this seems to be an isolated thing. Wanted to hop on the K&G train after seeing so many great reviews of them on the forum and fell in love with it. I’ve got a replacement coming in soon, I’ll put a month of playing on it and see how it fares haha

Quote Originally Posted by SamMcHenry00 View Post
    It’s good to know this seems to be an isolated thing. Wanted to hop on the K&G train after seeing so many great reviews of them on the forum and fell in love with it. I’ve got a replacement coming in soon, I’ll put a month of playing on it and see how it fares haha
    If you need to buy a new one, I recommend the master series, marked with the + symbol after the letter ( 4D+ ). You could also think about replating the damaged one: the cost of doing it is quite low.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.