Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who does custom engraving?

Who does custom engraving?

All the talk about where to find compensated euphoniums cheaply has me flirting with the idea of getting a new horn and sending it off to be custom engraved. So I am playing with the idea. Who actually does this kind of work? How much does it cost (ball park estimate)? What do I need to be aware of before pulling the trigger on such a project?

Help me dream here :-) !
    - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Cool idea. I think a satin lacquer engraved would look really cool.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    When I had my horn built, I had the entire bell section engraved. I am told this cost $1,000. Here is a link to part one of my review of the horn along with pictures:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...w#.Y2L63GnMLo8

My horn was engraved by a person in the former Czechoslovakia.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Cool idea. I think a satin lacquer engraved would look really cool.
    Unfortunately, The Music Store in Germany (https://www.musicstore.com/en_US/USD...BLAS-BLAEUPKOM) seems to think that adding an engraving is modifying their horn enough to invalidate the warranty. I emailed them and specifically asked about that. That is a bummer because they have one of the best warranties I have seen on euphoniums. So now I have to decide whether to go ahead with my scheme anyway or not. Still looking for a place closer to California than eastern Europe that would do the engraving.

And no, they do not offer the brushed/satin finish either. And yes, the pictures of an engraved brushed/satin finish I have seen look REALY COOL. ;-)

- Sara

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    Unfortunately, The Music Store in Germany (https://www.musicstore.com/en_US/USD...BLAS-BLAEUPKOM) seems to think that adding an engraving is modifying their horn enough to invalidate the warranty. I emailed them and specifically asked about that. That is a bummer because they have one of the best warranties I have seen on euphoniums. So now I have to decide whether to go ahead with my scheme anyway or not. Still looking for a place closer to California than eastern Europe that would do the engraving.
    Given the low pricing on their euphoniums...it might be worth just not worrying about the warranty. (perhaps, taking delivery of it first, to ensure it is good to go first before shipping it off to be engraved.)
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Given the low pricing on their euphoniums...it might be worth just not worrying about the warranty. (perhaps, taking delivery of it first, to ensure it is good to go first before shipping it off to be engraved.)
    But then I am paying to ship the horn a number of times. From Germany to California, From California to engraver, from engraver back to me, and so on. I imagine that adds up when dealing with a package the size of a euphonium. I am still exploring to see if I can even pull it off. The I will decide if my pockets are deep enough to afford it.

- Sara

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    But then I am paying to ship the horn a number of times. From Germany to California, From California to engraver, from engraver back to me, and so on. I imagine that adds up when dealing with a package the size of a euphonium. I am still exploring to see if I can even pull it off. The I will decide if my pockets are deep enough to afford it.
    Have you reached out to these guys? (I’ve seen them mentioned on Reddit and a trombone forum.)

https://www.veritasmachiningllc.com/...truments-c1pl4
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

I assume that the laser would cut through lacquer. If so, then at some point the engraving will stop being shiny gold and will get dull from tarnish. I assume a production engraved lacquer horn would have engraving done first, then the coating applied.

For silver plating, it MIGHT be the same thing. Silver plate is not very thick, and I would want to know if the laser can be set to only "scratch the surface" so to speak.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I would think it is definitely worth reaching out to them...since they, specifically, have an instrument engraving service.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

I would think it is definitely worth reaching out to them...since they, specifically, have an instrument engraving service.
    Yes, I have emailed Veritas Machinining to ask. I am still waiting for an answer. I have also emailed a couple other places and am waiting for their replies. News flash when I have something to report (tease/smile/joke). Unfortunately, it seems that some of the big names in instrument engraving in the US retired roughly ten years ago. So finding who is taking their place in the market is a bit of a treasure hunt.

- Sara

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast