Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who does custom engraving?

Update

Looks like Veritas Machining is a no go. They only do laser engraving, and euphoniums (and tubas by extension) are too big to fit in their machine. They were also not able to refer me to anyone who could take a hand engraving job. They did respond in a timely manner. So off to the next possibility.

I did get a nibble from a hand engraver I found online. I am still corresponding with him to see if he can do the work within what I can afford. I am also waiting on responses from a couple others I found online.

I may have to look up the guy in the Czech Republic. Does anyone have his contact info or even know if he is still taking engraving work?

- Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

What sort of design do you have in mind, Sara?
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Some traditional flowers and scroll work, a bird, a melody line from a hymn I love, the names or initials of family, maybe some other personal symbology. Still trying to figure what all I would want and whether it would fit together and not look like a mish-mash. Basically, it should be a statement of the things I love and that move me. I am open to some artistic interpretation/freedom. And I am not picky about technique as long as it looks classy and traditional.

- Sara

Sara, reading your description it sounds like a really cool idea, I hope you are able to find someone! Also, it sounds a lot like you are giving your euphonium a tattoo, which I guess in many ways you are
    Last edited by aroberts781; 11-10-2022 at 01:57 PM. Reason: clarity

5. You might want to contact this couple:
    https://meisterinstrumente-kroning.de/?lang=en

Very good customer service, but I can't comment on the engraving per se.

Quote Originally Posted by aroberts781 View Post
    Sara, reading your description it sounds like a really cool idea, I hope you are able to find someone! Also, it sounds a lot like you are giving your euphonium a tattoo, which I guess in many ways you are
    It is appropriate that you think of it that way. So do I (grin)! If you would not include something in a tattoo, don't include it in a horn engraving. I don't have the euphonium yet, but with the prices out there for stenciled and compensated euphs, I could possibly splurge. I will pull the trigger if I can put all the pieces together and I can still afford it.

- Sara

Okay, so far only got one nibble from someone in the US to do the engraving work. Has any forum members ever worked with a Ryan Walker before? http://ryanwalkerengraving.com/ His website suggests that he has mostly worked on saxes in the past. I am still exploring the idea.

It looks like the engraving work can be as much as the horn itself. Which makes me a bit uneasy because getting the engraving will invalidate any store based warranty. Fortunately https://www.musicstore.com/en_US/USD...BLAS-BLAEUPKOM euphoniums are currently available at a very reasonable price.

- Sara

Are there any forum members in/near Wilmington, North Carolina? I am still pricing things out, but I am getting closer to pulling the trigger. My latest obstacle is that I have no way to try out the horn before it gets engraved, unless I pay for more shipping stops, and am willing to have the whole project take longer. I am hoping to find someone in or near Wilmington who I can have the horn shipped to, they try it out for me, and then assuming it play tests well, hand it off to Ryan Walker for me. Then Mr. Walker can ship the finished project to me. This is essentially a two stop shipment.

The alternative is to have the horn shipped to me, I play test it, then I ship it to NC, Mr. Walker engraves it and finally ships it back to me. This is essentially a three stop shipment. I am hoping that within the network of low brass players on this forum, there will be someone willing to help a fellow player out. Anyone? (laugh) I would be most grateful.

- Sara (in Elk Grove, CA, near Sacramento)

Just as an FYI. DHL and USPS are dog slow getting orders from Germany to the US. You will eventually get your order from Music Store…just know it could take 3-4 weeks. (The prices are definitely great…I am going to review one of their stencil euphoniums soon!)
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Just as an FYI. DHL and USPS are dog slow getting orders from Germany to the US. You will eventually get your order from Music Store…just know it could take 3-4 weeks. (The prices are definitely great…I am going to review one of their stencil euphoniums soon!)
    I am aware that this could take a few months to pull off. I am considering Music Store's Monzani euphoniums. I am also considering Thomman's store brand for the same basic horn. Thomman has cooler looking finishes, but higher prices than their competition. I don't mind that the horns are JinBao stencils. I already own a JinBao baritone and have no complaints with it musically speaking. The idea of getting a new horn at a price that will let me customize it, by stepping outside the US instrument market, is very appealing.

So I am eagerly awaiting your review Larry.

- Sara
    Last edited by Sara Hood; 11-23-2022 at 01:42 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast