Thread: Looking for recordings

Looking for recordings

Hello fellow forum members (smile). I am posting because I actually want to get you all's advice on a few recordings. I have been trying to expand my tastes in brass music lately. There are a couple composters who have caught my ear while casually listening to the local classical music station: Maurice Revel and Gustav Mahler. I was hoping that you could recommend a few good albums featuring these composers. I am hoping to hear something that is a cross section of their music, played by groups who do them justice. Something of a "Greatest Hits" for each of them, as played by top tier groups. It is hard because most of what I am finding has a piece or two, but it is mixed in with a bunch of other composers. That doesn't give me the concentrated dose I am looking for, so I can figure out if I like them or not.

So, which recordings would YOU recommend by Revel and/or Mahler? Who put out the best version of them?

Thanks in advance (grin)! - Sara
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

Hi Sara, I somehow totally missed this thread when you originally posted. I don't have a ton of great recommendations, I don't listen to much Ravel. One of my go-to recordings for the Mahler Symphony #2, which I love, is Leonard Bernstein with the New York Philharmonic from the 60s, for me it is fantastic. I believe Bernstein recorded the Mahler symphonies 2 or 3 times, but the one I prefer is the oldest one from the 60s. It looks like this if you come across it (FWIW it is available on Youtube Music, my streaming service of choice at the moment): https://www.classicselectworld.com/p...-mahler-12-cds

Besides that I have nothing specific, but there is a person on YouTube that reviews A LOT of recordings and their channel playlists are all organized by composer, so I think that would be a great place for you to start looking. For simplicity here is a link to the channel... moderators if there is an issue with sharing YouTube channel links like this please feel free to remove, thanks! https://www.youtube.com/@DavesClassicalGuide

Hope this helps!
    1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
    1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Prof

I would get recordings of Ravel's (note spelling) piano music, especially LE TOMBEAU DE COUPERIN, Sonatine, etc. This really opened my ears in my youth and still fascinates me in my dotage.
    Then get the album SINCE WE MET by the Bill Evans Trio, recorded live at New York's Village Vanguard (I was in attendance) or I WILL SAY GOODBYE by a different iteration of the trio. Perhaps the latter would serve as the best introduction.
    Of course, you can check all these out on YT.
    If you want to get a bit off the path in a productive manner, check out the piano music of NIKOLAI KAPUSTIN, Russia's version of George Gershwin. Fun stuff...look especially for a piece called MOTIVE FORCE.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    Hello fellow forum members (smile). I am posting because I actually want to get you all's advice on a few recordings. I have been trying to expand my tastes in brass music lately. There are a couple composters who have caught my ear while casually listening to the local classical music station: Maurice Revel and Gustav Mahler. I was hoping that you could recommend a few good albums featuring these composers. I am hoping to hear something that is a cross section of their music, played by groups who do them justice. Something of a "Greatest Hits" for each of them, as played by top tier groups. It is hard because most of what I am finding has a piece or two, but it is mixed in with a bunch of other composers. That doesn't give me the concentrated dose I am looking for, so I can figure out if I like them or not.

So, which recordings would YOU recommend by Revel and/or Mahler? Who put out the best version of them?

Thanks in advance (grin)! - Sara
    My advice would be to check out a site like Presto Music (https://www.prestomusic.com/classical) and look at some of the reviews that they have. It's going to be tough to find a "greatest hits of" MAHLER, since most of his symphonies approach or exceed an hour in length. For Mahler, his 5th symphony is a good one to start. There are a ton of excellent performances, all special in their own way. If your looking for brass heavy music, then you should also look at Bruckner's Symphonies 5 and 7-9. They are long, but a lot of brass.

Mike