• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wizan
    • Sep 2015

Adams quality

Hi,

I am very happy with my Euphonium Adams E3, the sound is wonderful and the pitch is perfect. but I find it unfortunate that the build quality is not up to the rest. This is the second time I have encountered a soldering problem. Luckily the part let go as I took it from its stand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E5F050A3-2522-43AE-BA17-A1A53C61F050.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	862.8 KB
ID:	126643

I hope this will be the last time, for safety, I will have the entire instrument checked.

What about your Adams euphonium ?

Regards
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Well, THAT is not good, but it was very fortunate that you had control over the horn when the piece let go. Please let me know when you purchased it (or when it was made if you bought it new). I thought the factory was using a different design now for that piece, but in any case I will report what happened to you so the message gets to the folks who made it.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• daruby
      • Apr 2006

That has happened to me on my 2001 Sovereign, 2007 Besson Prestige, my 2009 Sterling Virtuoso, and my 2017 Adams E3 Prototype. In all of these, I had it repaired at Osmun Music in Acton, MA. If you tend to pick up the horn by the handle (as is my wont), it puts extra strain on this part. The original Besson New Standard/early Sovereign had a different handle shape (which I GREATLY prefer) that IMHO is secured MUCH more robustly to the body of the euphonium. I consider what happened to you to be primarily a design issue begun and promulgated by Besson.

Aside from continuing to repair this, the only other suggestion I have is to pick up the horn using your left hand to grip the 1-2-3 valve tuning slide ferrules securely and then swing the horn around so that you can grip the handle behind the valves.

The current design used by Besson/Sterling/Adams/Willson and others began with the later Sovereigns (post Round Stamp). Sterling and others copied Besson. It does not have nearly as much mating surface on the inner outer branches of the horn and only uses a single post to support one end.

I NEVER had this problem with my 1980 Sovereign or the later 1960s or early 1970s New Standards I played. See the picture below and see how the handle is gracefully blended into the outer branch with a surface that has lots of solder area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Old-Besson-Sovereign.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	118141
      Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
      Concord Band
      Winchendon Winds
      Townsend Military Band

Comment

• wizan
        • Sep 2015

Thanks a lot for your answers

Dave : it's a mid 2006 model.
        Daruby : thank you for this feedback. It's true that I used to take it that way. So maybe it's my fault.

Previously, I had a Courtois euphonium and it was a real tank ! (but much less enjoyable to play)

Regards.

Comment

• davewerden
          Administrator
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by wizan View Post
          Is that a typo? I don't think Adams had any euphonium models in 2006, and the E3 came around in 2015-16 or so.
          Dave Werden (ASCAP)
          Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
          Adams Artist (Adams E3)
          Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
          YouTube: dwerden
          Facebook: davewerden
          Twitter: davewerden
          Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• iMav
            • May 2011

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
            Is that a typo? I don't think Adams had any euphonium models in 2006, and the E3 came around in 2015-16 or so.
            From the research I did, I believe the Adams E3 became generally available in August 2015...
            Groups
            Valley City Community Band
            Valley City State University Concert Band
            2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• wizan
              • Sep 2015

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
              Sorry, yes 😂 it is a typo. I bought it in 2016. It was the first year or the second year of product I think.

Comment

• ivanhouston
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by wizan View Post

Daruby : thank you for this feedback. It's true that I used to take it that way. So maybe it's my fault.

Previously, I had a Courtois euphonium and it was a real tank ! (but much less enjoyable to play)

Regards.
                Hi Wizan,
                I'm curious what did you think about the Courtois Euphonium? I'm curious about the perception of that brand as it's not mentioned much. I know it's not in production anymore

Comment

Working...
                X