Thread: Besson Prestige and Sovereign valve caps

Besson Prestige and Sovereign valve caps

I saw this video on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/653517451/v...2691167634542/ ) by Steven Mead where he explains how to place, according to him, the heavy and light valve caps that come with the instrument. As for the heavy bottom caps on the fourth valve (like ABC), he states that they only work on Sterling euphoniums, while for all the others they attenuate the sound and cause resonance and overtones to be lost.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by franz View Post
    I saw this video on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/653517451/v...2691167634542/ ) by Steven Mead where he explains how to place, according to him, the heavy and light valve caps that come with the instrument. As for the heavy bottom caps on the fourth valve (like ABC), he states that they only work on Sterling euphoniums, while for all the others they attenuate the sound and cause resonance and overtones to be lost.
    I saw both the video and the comment about the ABC heavy bottom caps (it was in response to my question regarding them ). I have the ABC product on my 4th valve on my E3 (all the weights, currently). I need more time to give good feedback...I will say though, I like the effect it has had on centering...I haven't noticed a dulling or overt attenuation of the sound (at least not from behind the mouthpiece)...
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Looking at my Besson Prestige you can see, in addition to the customization of the color compared to the original, the application of LefreQue plates and a heavy lower cap on the fourth valve. Does all this additional weight on an instrument already heavy of its own bring objective improvements or is what we perceive as an improvement only the result of suggestion? With the instrument set up in this way it is easier for me to reach the notes of the high register with certainty, with the dreaded C # easy and safe, while the heavy cap on the fourth makes the notes of the low register more full-bodied. For the heavy-light top caps I can't tell the difference, so now I'm trying what Steven Mead suggested, we'll see. I think everyone has to experiment and find the combination that suits them best. On the New Standard and the French Tuba I have not added anything, everything is fine as it is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221103_112311.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	9538

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221103_112333.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	9539
    Last edited by franz; 11-03-2022 at 08:15 AM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

I did notice dulling of the sound when using the Heavy 4th valve Bottom Cap on my Sovereign. Did make centring a lot easier, but don't wanna compromise on sound. So when I can resume playing after recovering from my abdominal surgery I'm gonna see if I can source a set of old British Prestige heavy valve caps online to fiddle around with, since from memory my Sovereign has some slight uncertainty in slotting which could use some help.