Thread: Adams and Their 4th Valve Lock

Adams and Their 4th Valve Lock

I should say, or lack of a 4th valve lock.

I've had my Adams E2 for 5 years now and it's the best horn I've ever played, bar none. It's beefy enough, but not too beefy like my Sterling Virtuoso was. I don't need the tuning slide trigger, as the 6th partial problem inherent with the large bore Bessons and similar instruments just isn't there. It sings sweetly and it has plenty of presence.

But one thing that I utterly failed to do when Adams built my E2 (it was a custom horn because I had to have them cut it down about a semi-tone as I routinely play flat on both the Adams and Sterling horns -- don't ask me why) is specify to have them install a 4th valve lock. I understand why Miel Adams doesn't prefer the lock, but I just don't agree with that philosophy. While I NEVER put my horn down on its bell, having a protrusion like a 4th valve is an invitation to disaster if it should fall over -- and having to have a broken 4th valve repaired is not my idea of an inexpensive repair.

Up till now I have only used the Marcus Bonna hard case when schlepping the Adams. That case does a great job protecting the horn, but it's a hard case and even though it has backstraps, I have never liked that case. Just too bulky and, well, it's a hard case. Not fond of zippers on hard cases either as those will eventually fail, but all that is secondary for this post.

I've had another conversation on a separate thread regarding gig bags at the link and since I am/was in the market for a gig bag to begin with, I thought I'd link to it here.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...510#post164510

The upshot is, I took my horn to Independent Music Service in the Sherwood, AR area - for my money, the only place to go to have horns worked on in my area - and talked with Robert.

He's going to order a Willson 4th valve lock and mount it to the 4th valve itself, rather than the outside bow as is customary on Bessons. Soldering that on will screw up the silver plating on the horn some, but that is a small price to pay to be able to have that 4th valve locked down when in the gig bag or just in general -- otherwise it's an accident waiting to happen.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

Out of curiosity, how much is the work going to cost you?
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

IMS didn't quote a price; I didn't ask, but it'll be reasonable. Certainly not more than $200 tops.

Do you have an aftermarket bottom cap on your 4th valve? (or are, otherwise, unable to use the stand alone valve lock? My E3 came with one, but I have the ABC bottom cap on, so it won't fit.)
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

No aftermarket bottom cap -- the standard E2 heavy bottom cap on all valves. I wasn't aware of a standalone valve lock. I'll look into that, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher6 View Post
    No aftermarket bottom cap -- the standard E2 heavy bottom cap on all valves. I wasn't aware of a standalone valve lock. I'll look into that, thanks.
    Heck, I'll send you mine if you want it. Came free with my E3...and I can't use it because of my ABC bottom cap...

PM me.
    Last edited by iMav; 11-09-2022 at 07:59 AM.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Heck, I'll send you mine if you want it. Came free with my E3...and I can't use it to my ABC bottom cap...

PM me.
    Thank you for your kind offer, but I ordered a 4th valve lock from Austin Custom Music last week. Cost was definitely cheaper than the $200 I was thinking I'd have to spend to put a Willson valve lock on the instrument (soldering, etc., plus the cost of silver-plating the valve lock itself).

I would not have known about Adams' valve lock had you not mentioned it and since it "clamps on" to the instrument rather than being soldered on, not only do I get a device that was designed for the instrument but I also get a cost reduction. Thanks again.

Glad to hear it!
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

I like the Adams clip.
    Last edited by Mitch; 11-09-2022 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Already covered

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I like the Adams clip.
    I think it is a fine solution. But doesn't work for me, due to the addition of a heavy bottom cap on the 4th valve. (which I am quite fond of thus far!)
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.