Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for non-accompanied church music..

Looking for non-accompanied church music..

Duet, trio, and even quartet music. (Two trumpet players and two euphonium players…mixing and matching.)

(also might look to do a trumpet trio)

Nothing too technical (couple of mud-level kids in the mix).
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Also looking for solo pieces (for euphonium). Without accompaniment is preferable...but if a mp3 file of piano accompaniment is included, that would be fine too.

[ full disclosure. Adding this request because someone backed out of "special music" for this coming sunday...and someone asked if I could play something in a pinch...and I simply don't have something readily available. So, if there is something downloadable (will pay, of course) I could find and grab today to give me some time to run through it...that would be optimal. ]
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

3. Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Also looking for solo pieces (for euphonium). Without accompaniment is preferable...but if a mp3 file of piano accompaniment is included, that would be fine too.
    Ernest Bloch’s “Prayer” has a piano accompaniment but works fine played alone. I have done it that way a couple times.

https://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/...-life-no-1.php

Here is a recording on trombone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKmMVgUwO3o

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Ernest Bloch’s “Prayer” has a piano accompaniment but works fine played alone. I have done it that way a couple times.
    thanks. I’ll keep that in mind for another time. However, I need something downloadable that I can start working through today…and it is for this coming Sunday.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Cimarron has quite a few unaccompanied euphonium solos, and some might work for you. Here is the full list:

https://www.cimarronmusic.com/brass/...solo-euphonium

Most of their pieces are offered as printed or download PDF.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Something that I thought of that might take a little bit of transposing parts depending on the level of whoever is playing, is that even just picking a few hymns out of the hymnal and playing the soprano, alto, tenor, and bass parts as a quartet for 2 trumpets and 2 euphoniums might be nice and something that wouldn't be too difficult to pull together.

It reminds me of my very first solo performance. I guess I was in the 6th grade, playing my dented, bell-front baritone at the church I grew up going to as our confirmation class walked down the center aisle. I played O, For a Thousand Tongues to Sing.

Dave -- as a person who has probably transposed a lot of hymns on the fly, if all four musicians played the parts as written in the hymnal, without transposing the treble clef parts into B-flat, would it line up with the bass clef parts, or would the treble clef parts not match the bass clef parts?

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Duet, trio, and even quartet music. (Two trumpet players and two euphonium players…mixing and matching.)

(also might look to do a trumpet trio)

Nothing too technical (couple of mud-level kids in the mix).
    Bigshinybrass.com has downloadable charts for mixed groups that accommodate all levels of players, and they have a number of church-suitable charts that would probably work for you.

I assume all the parts in the hymnals are in concert pitch.

I’ve got Finale, so fairly easy to plug things in and transcribe for different instruments.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by aroberts781 View Post
    Dave -- as a person who has probably transposed a lot of hymns on the fly, if all four musicians played the parts as written in the hymnal, without transposing the treble clef parts into B-flat, would it line up with the bass clef parts, or would the treble clef parts not match the bass clef parts?
    From a hymnal, the treble clef (soprano and alto) parts are concert pitch, as are the bass clef parts. For treble clef trumpet or euphonium, the TC parts have to be moved up one full step and the key has to change to add-2-sharps or delete-2-flats. With 2 trumpets and 2 BC instruments that fixes everything.

However, the TC parts on euphonium will sound an octave too low. That can be OK sometimes. For example, with 2 euphoniums and 2 tubas, if the euphs read up a step their extra brightness over the tuba might carry OK to the congregation, even if they are all mixing in the same octaves. Or it could be muddy, depending on the hymn.

The ideal church pickup quartet would have 2 trumpet/cornet players who can transpose up a step, and then 2 players on trombone/euphonium/tuba.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

I got it. As long as I know the notes are as written, I can arrange and transcribe as needed.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast