Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Step-up?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Valley City, North Dakota, USA
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    I’ve been curious about the Besson 100-series, non-compensating horns. (The BE-165 is the 3+1 configuration). Seems it would be a decent option if one is not, necessarily, interested in a compensating horn.
    Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello Larry, you might be referring to the price of the Sonic flugelhorn. Actually, Thomann lists the Sonic euphonium for more than twice as much.
    i was referring to the Besson…

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3BDF705-1D77-4159-AD08-BDDA34A4C76C.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	9493
    Last edited by iMav; 10-23-2022 at 04:21 PM.
    Euphoniums
    John Packer 374LT
    John Packer 274L

    Larry Herzog Jr.
    Twitter: iMav
    Facebook: iMav
    Email: me@imav.org
    Founder of geekhack.org

    Linktree: iMav


    All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Valley City, North Dakota, USA
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Admittedly, Thomann may feature attractive pricing, and no hassle cross-Atlantic shopping.

    Yet, in my final decision on where to source my upcoming new eupho baby -- more about it before long -- I did not deem pricing and instant fulfilment to be my only priorities. A good relationship and the technical support from the respected low brass tech working for one of the several well-established US dealer has been crucial to my eventual choice.
    After all, peace of mind is a very long-term concern.
    I got very personal service from Thomann. 30-day no questions asked return policy (shipping on their dime)…and assurance from Adams proper that there are no warranty issues buying through Thomann).

    After all, I BOUGHT a foreign-made horn…it’s not like there was a “made in the USA” play to be had. (Had I determined a S.E.Shires horn was right for me, I’d see no reason to hop to Europe and back for it!)

    [and no local techs to be had in my area…aside from the local tech at my college I have full access to!]

    Bottom line…order from whomever you choose…and make sure you are educated regarding the options!
    Euphoniums
    John Packer 374LT
    John Packer 274L

    Larry Herzog Jr.
    Twitter: iMav
    Facebook: iMav
    Email: me@imav.org
    Founder of geekhack.org

    Linktree: iMav


    All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Summerville (SC)
    Posts
    365
    I agree with you Larry, it is the eternal "caveat emptor"... And after some four years of pondernings, phone calls, creating comparative spreadsheets, and assorted caveanda, I opted to purchase in the US.

    Personal priorities are rainbow-like, isn't it?!

    Saluti, Guido

    BTW, thank you for the Bessonic correction.... A dangling pronoun had thrown me for a loop
    Miraphone M5050L
    Wessex EP104 Festivo (available)
    DT16, DC3, DC4, SM4U, 4AL, 51D

  4. #14
    I've owned a Sonic for a year, got one right after they were introduced. It plays beautifully, is super resonant, and is very much like the E1 as Dave notes. But it is not a bargain horn and will cost more than most non comp euphs. No reason not to get one, but if you decide to sell it, it will not have a good resale value relative to it's cost, because demand is so slight for a non comp euphonium at this price point. I'm keeping mine because it is fun to play and I like the weight reduction relative to a comp euphonium. For times I might need a compensation, I go back to my Yamaha 642 Neo.

  5. #15
    "Geriatric novice"... you crack me up! If you love your horn and it's doing everything you'd like for it to do, why change?
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL
    Besson New Standard

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    US East coast
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    "Geriatric novice"... you crack me up! If you love your horn and it's doing everything you'd like for it to do, why change?
    Brief answer to your question-- I need to know if the improvements and innovations in currently built instruments could potentially allow me to advance at a faster rate than I’m advancing on my Willson.

    My Willson has served me amazingly well for the year I’ve used it, but it has a couple issues that concern me, and I won’t experiment with changing them. If I buy another instrument I’ll keep the Willson and use it, but less often than I’m using the Willson now. (12-15 hours/week). So I’m looking for something approximately the same size as the Willson with potential current upgrades.

    I’ve come from a single undergrad course in brass instruments that I took 55 years ago to participating in 3 ensembles (one of them playing Gr. 4- Gr. 5 music), and I do everything possible to advance my abilities.

    I have a GREAT teacher and a lot of encouragement, not much sophistication in brass instruments per se but learning as I go.

    Thanks for asking!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Valley City, North Dakota, USA
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    I have a GREAT teacher and a lot of encouragement, not much sophistication in brass instruments per se but learning as I go.
    Is your teacherís primary instrument the euphonium? Have you asked them their opinion on a possible horn upgrade? (Just curious)
    Euphoniums
    John Packer 374LT
    John Packer 274L

    Larry Herzog Jr.
    Twitter: iMav
    Facebook: iMav
    Email: me@imav.org
    Founder of geekhack.org

    Linktree: iMav


    All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    Brief answer to your question-- I need to know if the improvements and innovations in currently built instruments could potentially allow me to advance at a faster rate than I’m advancing on my Willson.

    My Willson has served me amazingly well for the year I’ve used it, but it has a couple issues that concern me, and I won’t experiment with changing them. If I buy another instrument I’ll keep the Willson and use it, but less often than I’m using the Willson now. (12-15 hours/week). So I’m looking for something approximately the same size as the Willson with potential current upgrades.

    I’ve come from a single undergrad course in brass instruments that I took 55 years ago to participating in 3 ensembles (one of them playing Gr. 4- Gr. 5 music), and I do everything possible to advance my abilities.

    I have a GREAT teacher and a lot of encouragement, not much sophistication in brass instruments per se but learning as I go.

    Thanks for asking!
    From what Iíve read here, if you like the 2900 sound, good alternatives are the Adams E2 and the Shires Q41. Horns are very personal choices so I hope you get the chance to play as many as possible. I played a 2900 for 40 years. It has that beautiful centered tone and is robust. It has well known tuning quirks but they are not hard to deal with. But I switched to my E3 because I wanted a different tone concept and because it plays so well in tune.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •