Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS Besson Euphonium Silver Matt London-Paris-New York with Gig Bag

FS Besson Euphonium Silver Matt London-Paris-New York with Gig Bag

hi all
    found some Besson euph 1970/1971
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/16516289470...mis&media=COPY

any thoughts? many thanks

From what I can see, this looks like a very decent horn, and the price is in the range I would expect.

It was made at a very good time for Besson quality. Just be aware that horns from that age use the "European" shank mouthpieces (unless someone has changed the receiver for a large shank. (However, I LIKE the feel of the Bessons with that medium receiver - they are very sweet to play!)
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

thx Dave
    do you know the model maybe?
    thx

Quote Originally Posted by simonm29 View Post
    thx Dave
    do you know the model maybe?
    thx
    I'm not good with model numbers! Doug Ruby might or one of our other members be able to say with more authority. My own memory says 766. In any case, this horn at the time was the top of the line for Besson.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Model 181 tickles my memory.

Dennis

I agree with Dennis - albeit the valve buttons on the advertised horn have been changed and the brass guides appear to have been replaced with black nylon guides. See pages 16 and 17 in the catalogue linked below~

http://yorkmaster.org/yorkmaster/pho...mpo/index.html

Here is a link to a string on the Model 181~

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...1#.Y1J1syUpAWM
    Last edited by Shinn; 10-21-2022 at 05:38 AM.
    David Shinn
    Peninsula Concert Band
    Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
    1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
    1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
    Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

and what now .......
    i even ask the seller what model it is, no response yet...from yesterday no response

He may not know, as they aren't labeled with it.

I know it is frustrating waiting for replies from sellers, hopefully they get back to you in a reasonable time.

I think that Dennis and David know what they are talking about regarding the model number. As Dave said, regardless of the actual model number, this horn was the top of the line for its day. It looks like a good horn for a reasonable price, the seller has 100% feedback, the pictures all show that the slides and valves seem to be in pretty good shape. Some people find the original metal guides a little noisy and some people don't prefer the original valve button style so the nylon valve guides and non-original valve buttons might be nice changes.

If you're interested and this is in your budget it seems like a nice horn to me. I don't know what shipping from Germany to Croatia would be like, so maybe consider that as well. If I recall from your previous posts your ideal budget is around 1,500 EUR, so this might be a bit of a stretch, but for a good 4-valve compensating older Besson this is probably a fair price. That opinion is not an expert opinion, just my personal experience in shopping around for used horns. My general sense is that you would have to go with one of the recent Chinese-made clones to get a significantly better price for a 4-valve compensator.

Quote Originally Posted by aroberts781 View Post
    I know it is frustrating waiting for replies from sellers, hopefully they get back to you in a reasonable time.

I think that Dennis and David know what they are talking about regarding the model number. As Dave said, regardless of the actual model number, this horn was the top of the line for its day. It looks like a good horn for a reasonable price, the seller has 100% feedback, the pictures all show that the slides and valves seem to be in pretty good shape. Some people find the original metal guides a little noisy and some people don't prefer the original valve button style so the nylon valve guides and non-original valve buttons might be nice changes.

If you're interested and this is in your budget it seems like a nice horn to me. I don't know what shipping from Germany to Croatia would be like, so maybe consider that as well. If I recall from your previous posts your ideal budget is around 1,500 EUR, so this might be a bit of a stretch, but for a good 4-valve compensating older Besson this is probably a fair price. That opinion is not an expert opinion, just my personal experience in shopping around for used horns. My general sense is that you would have to go with one of the recent Chinese-made clones to get a significantly better price for a 4-valve compensator.
    thank you for your advices!!
    can you tell me which one of chinese clone would be "acceptable "
    ty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast