Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Switching from performance to education?

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Members of the “President’s Own” USMC Band don’t have to go through basic training? (I had no idea. I know all the USAF bands have to go through basic training.)
    I was surprised when I first learned this, especially considering that the Marine Corps considers every marine to be a rifleman.

Check out the link https://www.2ndmardiv.marines.mil/Un...r%2013%20weeks., which says "Yes. All Marines, with the exception of the United States Marine Band (The President's Own), are required to attend boot camp at either Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, CA, or Parris Island, SC, for 13 weeks."

I also agree with that. Even if you're in ed you can still play your horn like a performance major. I told my professor to treat me like a performance major in lessons and to have those same expectations for me. Between a hectic schedule of 7 classes and a nighttime job I was in the practice room every single break I had. While other music ed euphonium classmates alongside me often complained about playing and preparing the bare minimum for the studio. You can always put in as much effort as you want. Only we can decide for ourselves how far we go, and it'll make you better in the end. I've gained a great sense of time management and how not to "waste" time in the practice room from the pressure of maintaining my school schedule and work schedule.
    My best friend just finished up his marine basic training not too long ago and is focusing on euphonium again after he got stationed in California. So, for the marines he had to go through basic training.
    Last edited by EthanL; 10-14-2022 at 08:07 AM.

The only 2 U.S. military bands that don't require a recruit to go through basic training are The U.S. Marine Band and The U.S. Coast Guard Band.

When I came into the USCG Band there was no formal process. You were tutored by the other members about what to do. But a few years after that the system was made more sensible by the addition of a 2-week orientation course at Cape May, NJ (a Coast Guard base). There was no physical training, but they issued uniforms and had classes on the military system and the USCG. Much better!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    In addition to requiring boot camp in the U.S. Army Band, they also have a requirement (at least when I was there) for an annual PT (Physical Training) test like the rest of the Army takes. I have to admit that the scoring of that test was somewhat "lenient" if I remember correctly.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Please refer back to my last post.

Every Marine had to go through basic training, including musicians, EXCEPT for members of the President's Own. They can be recruited directly into the band without going through basic training.

Just to be clear, not all Marine Corps musicians are members of the President's Own. The Presidents Own is the premier Marine Corps band.

The link I supplied came directly from the second marine division, so it can be considered authoritative.

As it happens, there is currently an opening for a euphonium player in the US Coast Guard Band. (https://www.uscg.mil/Community/Coast...sic%20training.)

Here is a description of the position. "Starting salary between $60K and $66K; full military benefits, paid medical, 30 days paid vacation, pension plan, and no basic training. Maximum age at time of enlistment is 34. The audition winner will have to meet all military medical standards to enlist in the Coast Guard. Candidates will be asked to provide a preliminary audio recording and a resume. Email recording and resume on or before September 3, 2022."

Also at the link above, under the heading of "Enlistment and Training" it says "The Coast Guard Band is one of only two U.S. military bands that do not require basic training.".

Let me preface by saying I'm not telling you not to go to college or be a music major, but you don't have to be a music major to still perform and learn to master your instrument. I would say it certainly helps, and you have a lot of resources at your disposal for learning and a lot of opportunities to perform. I am of the opinion that to learn to perform, you gotta perform. It's not necessarily the same thing, but I've played guitar in several bands in the last 15 years, and the one I felt the most comfortable in and had the most mastery of the songs was the one that threw me onstage after about 5-6 weeks of practices and learning the set and continued to play tons of shows. I was certainly a better guitar player and performer in general after being in that band.
    If you want to perform, there are definitely few great openings that will make you money, but there's always a way to perform!

Quote Originally Posted by massmanute View Post
    As it happens, there is currently an opening for a euphonium player in the US Coast Guard Band. (https://www.uscg.mil/Community/Coast...sic%20training.)

Here is a description of the position. "Starting salary between $60K and $66K; full military benefits, paid medical, 30 days paid vacation, pension plan, and no basic training. Maximum age at time of enlistment is 34. The audition winner will have to meet all military medical standards to enlist in the Coast Guard. Candidates will be asked to provide a preliminary audio recording and a resume. Email recording and resume on or before September 3, 2022."

Also at the link above, under the heading of "Enlistment and Training" it says "The Coast Guard Band is one of only two U.S. military bands that do not require basic training.".
    I took at look at the package for giggles and the sheet music for the audition pieces is included (!). Nice for sightreading practice and to expand my collection of sheetmusic!
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Back in my days as an Air Force gastroenterologist I had the pleasure of treating a bandsman. I was initially confused because he was a 43 year old three stripe airman... I'd never seen someone that old with that few stripes. I asked for his story and he shared that he was a French Horn player in one of the AF bands and that a military band slot was the best deal going for a performance musician. In the subsequent years I got to interact with a number of military bandsmen and women and I was uniformly stunned by the remarkable caliber of their talent and musicianship!
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Sorry about the extremely late reply, but thank you everyone for the replies, really means a lot and has helped me. I decided to major in education, and have decided to pursue bass trombone. I still have my euphonium chops, but I have been practicing nonstop on bass (its a lot of fun) and have gotten increasingly better, so I plan to audition on bass for college.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast