Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts (/experience?) regarding questionable eBay listings...

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    The YEP-621 has the same bore as the 321: .570". That makes is smaller than even the old Bessons. If it is a professional horn (as in "professional euphoniumist") it would be smaller than any other model by a good margin. I consider it an upgrade to the 321 rather than a starter 641.
    Yep, I agree with the 321 vs 641 distinction. The nimble, small-bore 621 and 321 have the same personality but slight cosmetic differences, and they're both very different from the 641/642 in physical, playing experience, and sound characteristics.
    Someone expecting a 621 to voice like a 641/642 is going to be very disappointed.
    But I had a 2-decade, no-time, post-college period, and I could pick up a 321 for a gig with very little preparation. My 967 was in storage because it required too much face-time for me to stay competent on it.

The bore difference between the 321 & 621 is in the 4th valve loop - .661 vs .610, I think - and maybe it was a placebo effect, but it felt to me like the 4th valve spoke better/easier on the 621 than the 321.

Also, the 621's default large-shank receiver makes a big difference too, but the 321 can be re-fitted to the same effect (I compared my large-shank 321 head-to-head with a small-shank 321; significant, worthwhile upgrade, imo).

In short: I think one can get most of the 621's benefit at a lower cost by buying a used 321 and installing a large-shank receiver on it.

2. From my experience with both instruments, the 621 to me is nowhere near the tonal character of a 321. I have found the 621 to be much more mellow, and more suited for lyrical passages. It is certainly able to play flashier stuff, but it’s likely not going to be seen in jazz or anything where it would need to stick out. It is actually more in tune than the 321 in the lower register as well. If used correctly, you can certainly get a sound comparable to a professional level horn. I have heard one instance where it was almost indistinguishable, but it was a recording of an amazing player in an acoustic space.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123