Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts (/experience?) regarding questionable eBay listings...

Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    Does Yamaha consider this as its “professional” non-compensating euphonium?

Might work for me. Will Yamaha import them to their dealers here in the US?
    Ann, there’s a discussion about the Yamaha 621 here that may address your query:
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...e#.Y0V19i0pChA
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton Brandon Jones sig mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Greensleeves (arr. Alfred Reed)

Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    Might work for me. Will Yamaha import them to their dealers here in the US?
    Back in the day, I understood the 2 series was student, 3 series was step-up/collegiate, and 6 series was "professional" (although if professional = "make money with it", the 321 was absolutely a "professional" horn). I hadn't heard of the 8 series, if it existed back then, but I first heard of the 8s as the "custom" line.
    The 621's lower end and volume range are, imo & memory, better than the 321, but still lightweight, responsive, and nimble like the 321; a very nice horn.
    It's a bit of a unicorn in the US, though. I'd never encountered one before I bought it, and haven't seen another in person since, and this is only the 2nd or 3rd that I've seen floating across the used market online (albeit I don't go looking for them, either).
    If you're interested in the eBay listing, I'd recommend contacting the seller and inquiring as to whether they're inadvertently pricing it in comparison to a compensating 641/642 (imo compensation is like 4-wheel drive - great to have if you need it, but a lot to drive around when you don't. Still and all, it's 'the thing to have', so non-comp horns seem to be a relative bargain on the open market). If they'll adjust it to $1,000-$1,500, then I'd consider it an immediate "buy now".

3. Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    When the 321 was first introduced in 1967, Yamaha labelled it as “Professional.” From the valve block out it’s a pretty close copy of a Besson New Standard. When the 641 came on the scene Yamaha figured it was more “Professional,” so the 321 was demoted to “Intermediate” in Yamaha’s sales literature. I’ve never seen the 621 in any of Yamaha’s U.S. literature. The two I have seen the the flesh came into the U.S. from Canada, where it was marketed.

The YEP-621 has the same bore as the 321: .570". That makes is smaller than even the old Bessons. If it is a professional horn (as in "professional euphoniumist") it would be smaller than any other model by a good margin. I consider it an upgrade to the 321 rather than a starter 641.

That's not to denigrate the 321/621 at all. They are very good for what they are designed for. AND if you want to define "professional" as a horn to make money with, those qualify. Jazzers and doublers often use the 321. Back in the 1970's I heard the Chicago Symphony do a piece that required euphonium, and the trombonist used a 321. Rich Matteson used a 321 for many years. And Henry Mancini's euphoniumist, trombone player Dick Nash, used a 321.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

As a young high school graduate, from nowhere, North Dakota…I was told by the local music store that the YEP-321 (well, Holton-branded equivalent) was the end all / be all for my upcoming college performing career. This was in the mid-80s. I think even back then, the salesman was misinformed…
    Euphoniums
    John Packer 374LT
    John Packer 274L

Larry Herzog Jr.
    Twitter: iMav
    Facebook: iMav
    Email: me@imav.org
    Founder of geekhack.org

Linktree: iMav

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    ... I think even back then, the salesman was misinformed…
    Yeah, a little, but there were quite a few in use in colleges then. And at that time there weren't as many pieces that required the 4th valve register (and would therefor almost require a compensating horn...or at least where a compensating horn would make life much easier).
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC4)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (previously)
    Another jazzer who uses the 321 is David Bandman. He is an absolute monster on euphonium, jazz or classical.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, Wessex EP-100 Dolce Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)

Before Covid shut down our band, I set next to an old boy with a 621s.

Never seen such to date.

I never even heard it, even tho he was just 4' away...

Maybe him, maybe the horn.
    1966 Besson 181 highly modified New Standard
    1915 York Bb tenorhorn original
    2019 Wessex Tornister

9. About the original eBay listing, you have to watch the listings directly from Japan. Some of them have outrageously expensive prices, and some don't. I bought a trombone, Yamaha ysl455 for about $500 including shipping. It was a model they don't sell here in the US, and it only had a couple of very minor scratches on it. The shipping was crazy fast, too, coming from Japan. It was as fast as if it were only a couple states away. Shipping would be $100 here in the US, can't imagine what it should be coming air-mail.

Anyway, just keep an eye on those Japanese ads. Some of them are crazy good deals.

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    Yeah, a little, but there were quite a few in use in colleges then. And at that time there weren't as many pieces that required the 4th valve register (and would therefor almost require a compensating horn...or at least where a compensating horn would make life much easier).
    Whenever the topic of 321s come up I always think of an episode of the Brass Junkies podcast when Demondrae Thurman was the guest. He mentions that he played on a Yamaha 321 until his junior year in college and won two competitions playing on the 321. That is not to say that there aren't benefits in a larger bore fully compensated 4-valve instrument, but it does highlight a couple things for me. That was the mid 90s, so I find it interesting that an elite college euphonium player in the 90s wasn't necessarily playing a compensated horn. I also can't help but imagine how much better Demondrae sounded on his 321 than I will ever sound on anything!

Joe Dollard is another jazz player who plays a Yamaha 321, and who also had a very interesting episode of the Brass Junkies.

Sorry this is all a little bit off topic, but maybe this type of discussion on the 321/621 would be helpful for someone interested in that eBay auction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast