Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adams E3 owners! What mouthpieces do you use??

Adams E3 owners! What mouthpieces do you use??

Curious to see what other E3 owners are currently using on their horns. I currently use an SM4U, but want to try a few different combinations once I acquire a new horn. (on a stencil currently)

Would love to hear a bit about your mouthpiece "journey" and what aspects of your currently mouthpiece that you appreciate. (of course, if there are things you DON'T like about your current mouthpiece, feel free to share those as well!)
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

2. Hi Larry,

I'm on a E3, 0.60 with a Sterling Silver Bell, Trigger and Stainless Receiver.

I've been on a quite extensive mouthpiece safari, mainly because I can't seems to resist trying out all the new stuff. However, I'm currently really happy with the Demondrae Signature mouthpiece (by Warburton) on my E3. I've been coming back to that mouthpiece for the last 3 or 4 years now. Really like the sound I get from it (especially in the high(er) register).

Only thing I'd like to see changed is the weight of the mouthpiece. It's quite heavy and thus responds a tiny bit slower then e.g. a wick. I seem to think that the weight also limits how I can color the sound. So as a trail I'm going to get some weight removed from another Demondrae mpc and compare the 2.

I plan on reporting the results of this experiment on this forum.
    Last edited by DutchEupho; 10-04-2022 at 10:02 AM.

This journey is a personal one and depends on what factors you consider important. I've tried most every mouthpiece out there and the one that comes closest to the ideal Wick/singing sound without terrible endurance issues is the Mercer and Barker MB4-ET. This is the same dimensions as the GW4 but with a slightly wider rim contour.

I don't use this mouthpiece because even though I find it better than the Wick and with better endurance, it still has endurance problems compared to my pre-2018 K&G 3.5D. Even newer K&G mouthpieces do NOT work for me. This, by far, has been my "holy grail" mouthpiece even if the sound I get out of it is not 100% the sound I could get from a Wick or MB. It's not a bad sound, it just has a lot of MID whereas the Wick/MB maybe have more of the higher harmonics.

And of course, any mouthpiece you like can be made to work on the Adams if you adjust the gap properly.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

My favorite sound for fuller playing is still the Wick 4AL, but it is less well suited to chamber work and pieces that need more center and less size. My current MP is an Alliance DC4. The DC3 is what David Childs uses, and I tried it too. But the 3 was a bit tougher on endurance and also not as good for the chamber side.

I have done a number of A/B comparisons in videos. Here is the playlist with all of them (I think):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLmM...9KJ0sFNI5jjEo_
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

5. Like Dave Werden, I have switched from my Wick 4AL to the Alliance DC4. I find that my Adams E3 responds very well (better than my Sterling) to the slightly smaller mouthpiece without giving much (if any) sound quality. I can still get better endurance and ability to play softly with the DC4 on the Sterling, but at some cost in response and sound quality that is not apparent on the Adams.

Doug
    Adams E3 0.60 Sterling bell - Prototype top sprung valves
    Concord Band
    Winchendon Winds
    Townsend Military Band

Interesting. I DO really like my SM4U...just figured with a new horn, I should reevaluate mouthpieces as well. Alliance DC4 and the Wick 4AL are definitely on the list. I've also put the Perantucci PT-7C and the K&G 3D on my list to try.

While I wait to pull the trigger on a new horn and additional mouthpieces to try...I figure I'll continue to gather info/opinions/etc from you all.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I use the Warburton Demondrae Thurman signature mouthpiece. Ever since I got my Miraphone M5050 which came with that piece. I used it on my Wessex, and now on my Adams E3. Really like this mouthpiece. Have tried many, many others. Always come back to the Demondrae piece. Just works really good for me. I use this same exact mouthpiece on my tenor trombone (Adams TB-1 Open FLow), and it works great! Nice to have one piece for both horns.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

The Alliance E series would be worth considering, especially if you like the SM4U. The E3 is the same diameter as the SM4U, with a more comfortable rim, in my opinion, than the SM4U. I find it plays like a more open SM4U. For a brief period Steve Mead played an Alliance E series and even had his name briefly on them; I still have a couple which say "Mead 2". If you're experimenting with mouthpieces the Wick Heritage 4AL and the original SM4 are also worth a try.
    Last edited by JTJ; 10-04-2022 at 10:34 PM.

Funny enough, I've been through a ton of experiments, and the two that sound the best for me are the generic mouthpiece that came with my Packer (it looks like a heavyweight 51d, and a Giddings copy of a 51d that was custom made

when i got my Adam E3, I tried the Alliance DC4 just because everyone has talked about it. I have so many mouthpieces and I finally realized i like the 51D best for the Euphonium (Besson Prestige 2052 and Adam E3). I use a different mouthpiece for each trombone I have (bass trombone, large bore tenor and of course small bore tenor). It is just a matter of what feels right for the horn. I had been away from playing so long that my ear is not trained enough to notice a difference in sound, but my lips notice ease of playing!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast