Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Adams E3 owners! What mouthpieces do you use??

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Interesting thoughts on the AGR.

Who has had one a long time and can speak to the durability??
    I doubt durability is an issue here. I've had my current horn for several years and it took a hard fall a while back. The fall was hard enough to bend the bell (inside the hard case) and I think stressed 2 things attached to the bell - the leadpipe and the brace near the bottom of the bell. The slides had to be re-aligned because of this stress, but the AGR/leadpipe are just fine.

The AGR outer piece is quite heavy and very solidly attached, probably at least as well as a standard receiver would be. The turning barrel is secured with this rather tightly and is finally tightened with the thumb screw. The AGR is threaded to a reinforced leadpipe end over a fairly long threaded piece, so it also should be mechanically secure.

My horn is not as heavy or as heavily braced as the old Bessons, for one example. So it won't take a hit as well. But if it were as heavy as the old Bessons it would not play as well. But in my book, the AGR is not a worry. The only vulnerability I think it adds is from lack of maintenance. If there threads are not lubed now and then (not very often is OK in my experience), I suppose they could get locked up. If that happens, an amateur trying to loosen them could warp the leadpipe. I probably only think that because of a junior high school experience. The janitor knocked my horn off a chair when I was out of the practice room. It didn't really hurt the horn, except that it jammed the mouthpiece into the receiver. He applied his locking pliers to the mp and got it out, but twisted the leadpipe in the process!

That last anecdote, by the way, is why it is nice to support having music stores nearby. They often a repair tech, and this fix was no challenge for the tech at my local music store in Davenport.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Detailed, thoughtful response as always, Dave…I appreciate it!

The local college I play with had a guy that will do a lot of maintenance and repairs for “free” (state-subsidized, obviously…being a state university). Both school horns and personal student horns. (Obviously not high ticket repairs…but common issues).

I’d absolutely pay for repairs locally if needed…factoring in shipping and repair times, cost, etc.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I have had my Adams E3 over 6 years (my how time flies) and have had no issues whatsoever with the AGR. I have two different receivers, the nickel-silver one that came with the horn, and a stainless steel receiver that I was given to try sometime after I owned my E3 for a while. The receivers seem very solid, and the only worry I can think of, which David mentioned, was about putting a little grease on the threads every so often to keep the receiver from locking up. I do this when I think about it, probably less than every so often.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I’ve had my E3 for only 15 months and I agree with Dave and John. The AGR is plenty robust. It’s a fairly simple device. Just a threaded lead pipe and corresponding sleeve plus the set screw. Each is well machined and easily able to hold up to most anything.

I have an E2 but my observation is this - a really heavy mouthpiece (AR) didn’t work at all with the instrument. I’ve since changed to a SM4XR and the sound has opened up, brightened, and projects much more easily. I’d hazard a guess that the combination of heavy hooter and dense gob-iron resulted in too much inert metal. I’d also postulate the AR would work wonders in one of the lighter flutes.

It has arrived! Will test it out later today…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22540222-FDC6-42A8-BFCF-A76295EB0030.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	9506
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

I've had my E2 since 2017 and have had zero durability issues with it. As has been observed and like with any part that moves and needs to move when necessary, a bit of grease on the threads keeps things humming. Speaking of the AGR, I have experimented with it and unless I go to extremes, I'm not hearing a lot of difference. So I keep mine more or less in the middle.

Of course, I have hearing loss too and probably can't hear nuances like most of you younger guys.
    U.S. Army, Retired (built mid-1950s)
    Adams E2 Euph (built 2017)
    Boosey & Co. Imperial Euph (built 1941)
    Edwards B454 Bass Trombone (built 2012)
    Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Eb tuba (built 1958)
    Kanstul 33-T lBBb tuba (built 2010)

I’ve been adjusting three turns out with whatever mouthpiece I use. (Since each of them are different lengths, I have to adjust for each when switching.)
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

can someone tell me where there is a description of how (and why) to adjust the Adam E3. I never got instructions that I know of. I just stick a mouthpiece (it goes all the way) in and play. I never changed anything. I tune the horn based upon how it is.

I put the mouthpiece in and turn it till there is no gap (clockwise, from the playing POV). (Turn it out (counter-clockwise) plenty first so it isn’t bottomed out when you initially put the mpc in.)

(I’ll post this, then grab the relevant links Dave has put out there that are helpful…)
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast