Thread: Good Secondary Instrument for Euphonium Player

1. Question Good Secondary Instrument for Euphonium Player

I am in high school, and want to learn a second instrument. I don't have to much time to learn an completely different instrument, so are there any similar ones out there to try. Thank you!

When I think of the euphonium players I have known in college and later in community bands, most of them that double are playing tenor and/or bass trombone and tuba. I think starting there would be a practical place to start. I picked up trombone just for fun to practice at home with the hopes of one day playing in a community orchestra or something like that. If you are feeling scared of the slide (I was!), it isn't too bad. I don't have the greatest slide technique, but with practice you can get used to it.

Gene Pokorny (tuba for Chicago Symphony Orchestra) also plays the clarinet, so in theory you could pick up any second instrument that you were interested in. Probably the biggest thing to focus on is even if you don't have a lot of time, there is no substitute for disciplined, methodical practice when learning a new instrument, so be patient!
    Last edited by aroberts781; 10-03-2022 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniD View Post
    I am in high school, and want to learn a second instrument. I don't have to much time to learn an completely different instrument, so are there any similar ones out there to try. Thank you!
    Welcome to the forum!

Do you play treble or bass clef primarily? That might make a difference. If you play treble now, a switch to Eb tuba would be fairly easy. If you play bass clef, you could switch to a BBb tuba pretty easily, assuming the size is not a problem. A common double is trombone, but it is more different and would require time to get the slide technique down.

I prefer to suggest low brass vs. trumpet, because they are safer for your embouchure (note that some folks double easily on trumpet) and the use of air is similar.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

When I played regularly before, I often played trombone and tuba. Having recently gotten back into playing euphonium, I was easily able to pick trombone back up as well.

Additionally, I DO play around on trumpet now and again. If you've played tenor clef before...just add two flats to the TC music.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server