Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so cheap??

Quote Originally Posted by guidocorona View Post
    Hello Larry, very interesting... Purchasing through Thomann, will you be saddled by extra charges for custom duty and brokerage?
    They waive all VAT fees because it is being sold to the US. The US MAY charge up to a 10% import fee. However, the last several people I've talked with who have purchased through Thomann (and live in the US), said they weren't charged any import fees.

So...we'll see! (one of the reasons I am documenting this entire process...there seemed to be no US resident in this community that has purchased a horn from them before.)
    Larry Herzog Jr.
    Adams Custom Series E3 euphonium (Selected model, silver-plated)
    Denis Wick SM4U mouthpiece (gold-plated)

Twitter: iMav
    Facebook: iMav
    Email: me@imav.org
    Founder of geekhack.org

Linktree: iMav

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    (BTW, I have yet to correspond with a US retailer who has even tried to make the case that if I buy from them, I get the added benefit of personalized service, a stateside retailer who stands by their products, etc. Everyone who has responded so far has simply tried to throw Thomann under the bus. It's a poor practice and definitely puts me off.)
    I DID want to mention that both the Horn Guys and ACB emailed me today and were very upfront and honest. Neither can compete with the current Thomann pricing...but ACB offered a veteran discount and stressed a commitment to delivering a product in tip-top condition.
    Larry Herzog Jr.

Founder of geekhack.org

Another tidbit of information. I checked out the wayback machine (internet archive). There isn't a complete listing. But from 1 Nov 2021 I found the following pricing (also contrasting with their current pricing in parenthesis):

- Besson Prestige Euphonium Steven Mead - $7799 ($7555)
    - Besson BE2052-2 Prestige Euphonium - $7555 ($7590)
    - Willson 2900 TA Euphonium - $6499 ($5599)
    - Adams E3 Selected M 0,60 SP - $6799 ($5699)
    - Adams E1 Custom M 060 Trigger AF - $6599 ($5899)
    - Adams Sonic Euphonium - $3899 ($3290)

Not much different on the Besson horns...but a SIGNIFICANT difference with the Willson and Adams horns from last year.
    Larry Herzog Jr.

Founder of geekhack.org

Re-reading this thread, I apologize for the tone of my earlier post advocating support of local/small vendors. It was an OT rant, and appears critical of Larry's Thomann purchase.

To the contrary, I appreciate his alerting us to an eye-opening opportunity to pick up a dream horn at significant discount, and for the interesting and informative follow-up posts.

I have cast wandering/wondering eyes at my son's 2052 (fabulous-playing horn, and oh, the timbre!), and although my Sterling fulfills my needs, it wasn't without considerable internal dialogue that I didn't contact Thomann . . .

To clarify: I do buy online/remote and from large conglomerates, but I prefer - when practicable - to support the little guys, and I avoid using their time, services, inventories, knowledge, or other assets without following through with a purchase from them.

Apologies and thanks, Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by tokuno View Post
    Re-reading this thread, I apologize for the tone of my earlier post advocating support of local/small vendors. It was an OT rant, and appears critical of Larry's Thomann purchase.
    To the contrary, I appreciate his alerting us to an eye-opening opportunity to pick up a dream horn at significant discount, and for the interesting and informative follow-up posts.
    I have cast wandering/wondering eyes at my son's 2052 (fabulous-playing horn, and oh, the timbre!), and although my Sterling fulfills my needs, it wasn't without considerable internal dialogue that I didn't contact Thomann . . .
    To clarify: I do buy online/remote and from large conglomerates, but I prefer - when practicable - to support the little guys, and I avoid using their time, services, inventories, knowledge, or other assets without following through with a purchase from them.
    Apologies and thanks, Larry.
    No apologies necessary. I didn't take anything you said in a negative light at all. I fully understand wanting to support the "local guy".

I'm just over the moon to be waiting on a new, pro-level horn.
    Larry Herzog Jr.

Founder of geekhack.org

Wire transfer FINALLY released and sent to Thomann Music (after being held up for nearly five days by my bank's fraud department).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wire-released.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	9392

Now the waiting game BEGINS!
    Larry Herzog Jr.

Founder of geekhack.org

Order being processed now. (generic verbiage on the screenshot. The Adams E3 order requires them to put in an order from Adams...as they have none in stock).

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	9393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	9394
    Larry Herzog Jr.

Founder of geekhack.org

A lot of the change since last November might be the exchange rate for dollar/euro. The Euro is low and costs much less in dollars than it did last year. Not surprising they don't have the Adams in inventory, unless they have a floating retail price on the horns they sell, otherwise they run exchange rate risk on the horns they buy and keep in inventory to resell.

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    A lot of the change since last November might be the exchange rate for dollar/euro. The Euro is low and costs much less in dollars than it did last year. Not surprising they don't have the Adams in inventory, unless they have a floating retail price on the horns they sell, otherwise they run exchange rate risk on the horns they buy and keep in inventory to resell.
    Yeah. I actually think “in stock” simply means Adams has horns available for them. (Other retailers I spoke with gave me a list of horns that were available to order immediately from Adams (it was next to nothing).

Curious how long this will take. Maybe I need a Wessex Sinfonico to tide me over.
    Last edited by iMav; 10-12-2022 at 01:36 AM.
    Larry Herzog Jr.

Founder of geekhack.org

oh boy, Oh boy, Oh Boy, OH Boy, OH BOY!!!

Name:	3.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	9402Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	9403

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	9404

(this is especially surprising to me because when corresponding with the Horn Guys and ACB (well, AND Thomann Music, initially), I found out that Adams had none in stock and that it would be several months before an E3 could be acquired...so, I'm living some sort of charmed life right now. LOL)
    Last edited by iMav; 10-13-2022 at 10:16 AM.
    Larry Herzog Jr.

Founder of geekhack.org

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast