Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so cheap??

Why so cheap?? (Thomann Music retailer)

Why are the Thomann Music prices so cheap? (Even if you tack on import taxes/fees for the US…these are significantly cheaper…)

https://ibb.co/kyq2V8K
    Last edited by iMav; 10-07-2022 at 12:04 AM.

2. Labour costs in China are remarkably low, raw materials are not quality controlled, and there's highly variable quality control on the finished product from one stencil to the next.
    I will gladly buy from the first importer-from-China who can put a quality instrument in my hands.
    Tried with Wessex--nope.
    If people on this board has positive things to say about thomann I would happily try with them.

No idea, unless it's a currency oddity among Netherlands, German, and the USA. I don't recall hearing any tales of fraud or incompetence about this dealer.

But one should consider that your dealer can be a valuable resource when you need parts or help with something. To some extent, it may be like comparing buying from Amazon to buying from a local dealer. I use Amazon, but our family policy is to avoid the big A when when have a local shop that carries the item we want. We want to keep local stores healthy and HERE. In the case of a premium brass instrument "here" might mean in the USA, because not every local music store can afford to stock much of the high-priced spread. But I want to encourage more dealerships in the USA, not fewer. My local Schmitt Music store is small and doesn't have as much stock of accessories as I would like, but there is a larger Schmitt about 25 minutes from my house. I drive there when I need accessories and I also have used their repair shop several times. I can get my oil/grease/cleaners from Amazon, but if Schmitt has them, I'm in the car and going there. And their staff has been helpful. Despite my encyclopedic knowledge of all things brass (HA!) I have found very good advice from the staff at Schmitt.

Just my 2 cents.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Why are the Thomann Music prices so cheap? (Even if you tack on import taxes/fees for the US…these are significantly cheaper…)

https://ibb.co/kyq2V8K
    Maybe the valves are extra?

Actually, I looked at the 2900 and the case is not included, which seems odd. I wonder if they break up the horn, case etc. and sell them separately. This was a common practice with New York City camera stores. They would break up a camera kit ( body, lens, lens cap, etc) and sell all the pieces separately.

Mike

Participated in a long FB group conversation about this vendor. Nothing but good things about them (and validation on the deep savings).

So, I’ve likely decided where I’ll be buying my new E3!
    Last edited by iMav; 10-01-2022 at 12:36 PM.

I was told by 3 different US Besson "medallion" (authorized) resellers, that they were disallowed from discounting their horns beyond a small %. Maybe that figures into Thomann's huge price advantage somehow?

On the topic of supporting local sellers, my long-standing rule is that if I examine/handle/try-on the merchandise, I buy it there, as opposed to exploiting the high-overhead local retailer's service, then buying the product cheaper online.
    Also, I typically check my small, local hardware store first and buy there, even if I know I can find the widget cheaper at Home D or L****. The small-guy store is a value to me: it's conveniently located with easy parking, it employs high school students to give them work experience, and it stocks more obscure stuff that doesn't meet the 'turn over' requirement of the big warehouse places, so although my little purchases won't keep it afloat by themselves, I'm hoping there's enough like-minded folks in the community that we'll end up keeping this business' doors open.
    My good friend opened his first music repair & retail store pre-Internet and scratched out a living, but post-Internet was forced out of the retail business by looming bankruptcy. Folks would trial his horns and thumb through the music to find what they wanted, then go home and buy online. If they gave him a chance at all, it was calling him back to tell him they'd buy the horn they'd tried and liked if he could match the lowest Internet price they'd found, which was typically lower than he'd paid at his small-shop, low-volume mfg's wholesale price.
    Last edited by tokuno; 10-01-2022 at 02:51 PM.

I get my small supplies (oil, grease, wipe cloth, stand etc.) from Thomann. Never bought a full instrument, only a mouthpiece once or twice. Their service overall is good.

I bought my first gold lacquered prestige from Thomann. Import duty was about $350.

I ended up sending it back because the first valve casing was wrecked by a honing machine and nobody caught it. I purchased the replacement from a USA dealer because they had it in stock.

They were easy to deal with and are reputable. I have purchased mouthpieces there also when I couldn’t find things in stock in the US.

I am a firm believer in purchasing from a local or local-ish dealer whenever possible. However, that pricing advantage is very difficult to ignore. I have a friend that bought a prestige from thomann early September. He has no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by MarChant View Post
    I get my small supplies (oil, grease, wipe cloth, stand etc.) from Thomann. Never bought a full instrument, only a mouthpiece once or twice. Their service overall is good.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

And I just happened upon their site randomly. Everything I had read here and elsewhere led me to believe I would be paying, literally, $3-4k more.

Glad they came up in a random google search!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WWBW sales rep
    Thomann is based out of Europe, so they will pile on fees that are not listed on the initial purchase. They require a freight forwarder that will have to be paid upon the item arriving to our borders. Also they are not an authorized dealer of a majority of the items, so warranty from the manufacturer will not be honored. I have also heard of some stories of people trying to order through that website and they end up with a knock-off item.
    From the numerous people I've talked to now that have ordered horns from Thomann Music...this rep is either regurgitating a provided "objections" script, or is outright lying. "hefty fees" is incorrect based on several US buyer I've talked to. I have an email out to several manufacturers, checking on the warranty situation...so, we’ll see what they say. I also find it very hard to believe that they will send out "knock-off" items...but, obviously, can't confirm nor deny this personally.

For what it's worth, this is what the Thomann exports rep told me personally:
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomann representative
    Please note that orders shipped to the US are exempt from European sales tax, however can be subject to US import taxes.

Specifically orders with a value over $800. For this specific order you should expect a 10 % on Customs fees.

We’d recommend however that you check the costs and procedures for the import duties with UPS and/or with the Customs authorities.

For further information please see the link to the US Customs and Border Patrol website.

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases#
    Seems to be very upfront and honest on the process and possible fees involved.

There is so much disinformation out there. So, I've decided I am definitely going to order through Thomann Music and document the entire process and provide complete transparency regarding pricings/fees/etc. As long as Dave is ok with it, I will document this in another thread (probably do the initial posting after the order is placed, and then update along the way). With the economy the way it currently is...if there is, indeed, a reliable way for folks to save thousands of dollars on pro-level horns, from a reliable company, through a repeatable/consistent process...people should know about it!
    Last edited by iMav; 10-03-2022 at 10:32 AM.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast