• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Sara Hood View Post
    Does the outside pocket have the option to detach from the rest of the case? It looks a bit slim to be able to carry much music. A pocket that can carry music is a plus in a case in my book.

- Sara
    Yes, the bag can be removed. It is zipped to the case. Attached are a couple photos showing the size. One pic has a large Leduc publication (about as large as most music we will ever carry) and an 8-1/2 x 11" publication, which even fits vertically! I have often used the bag alone for convenience. The other pic shows a good-size stack of music I just grabbed at random. Once the bag is zipped it becomes nice & tidy.

The one disadvantage I see is the bag has a bit of a "stickie-outie" factor when zipped in place. You need to allow a little extra space when passing through doors so you don't catch the edge of the bag. (In normal use a collision like that would probably not hurt the bag or the case; it's made of good material and the zippers are robust.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adams Bag Size.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	655.9 KB
ID:	118127 Click image for larger version

Name:	Adams Bag Loaded.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	863.6 KB
ID:	118128
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• iMav
      • May 2011

BTW, others seem to have noticed I’m playing on a different horn. While I haven’t notice a big sound difference from behind the horn, last night after community band practice, one of the trombone players (my kids’ former high school band teacher, retired) said, “Larry, you sounded AMAZING tonight! “. LOL
      Groups
      Valley City Community Band
      Valley City State University Concert Band
      2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• UglyGrayDuck
        • Sep 2022

Originally posted by iMav View Post
        BTW, others seem to have noticed I’m playing on a different horn. While I haven’t notice a big sound difference from behind the horn, last night after community band practice, one of the trombone players (my kids’ former high school band teacher, retired) said, “Larry, you sounded AMAZING tonight! “. LOL
        I just got my Shires last night and my girlfriend said "if I didn't know better, I'd think you were intentionally playing badly on the other horn as an excuse to buy this one..." lol
        Nicholas
        Shires Q41s
        Alliance DC3/K&G 4+

Comment

• iMav
          • May 2011

Originally posted by UglyGrayDuck View Post
          I just got my Shires last night and my girlfriend said "if I didn't know better, I'd think you were intentionally playing badly on the other horn as an excuse to buy this one..." lol
          Did she notice more of a difference than you notice “behind the horn”?

(I notice playability differences, primarily.)
          Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• UglyGrayDuck
            • Sep 2022

Did she notice more of a difference than you notice “behind the horn”?

(I notice playability differences, primarily.)
            Hmm, that's kind of difficult to answer. The difference behind the horn is pretty noticable to me, as the JP sounds pretty different to me. I feel like I made the JP sound "Good" but the shires really does sound a lot better, even from behind the horn. It could be a bit of placebo since the Shires is so much easier to play and feels so much better, but I doubt it.
            Nicholas
            Shires Q41s
            Alliance DC3/K&G 4+

Comment

• iMav
              • May 2011

The Adams E3 (Selected series) horn is $400 more expensive now at Thomann Music than when I purchased mine.

That’s something other than simply exchange rate…
              Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• iMav
                • May 2011

Have spent some significant time on my recently-acquired John Packer 274. I’m REALLY liking it! So much so, I am considering selling my E3 and picking up a JP374.

Would see about passing along my savings to someone stateside. Sell for something around $5500. Still contemplating… need to spend a bit more time on the JP horn.

However, if anyone is currently chomping at the bit for a like-new E3…DM me.
                Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• davewerden
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2005

Have spent some significant time on my recently-acquired John Packer 274. I’m REALLY liking it! So much so, I am considering selling my E3 and picking up a JP374.

Would see about passing along my savings to someone stateside. Sell for something around $5500. Still contemplating… need to spend a bit more time on the JP horn.

However, if anyone is currently chomping at the bit for a like-new E3…DM me.
                  I've lost track among the long threads... have you tried a 374? It seems I recall chat about people liking the 274 better.
                  Dave Werden (ASCAP)
                  Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
                  Adams Artist (Adams E3)
                  Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
                  YouTube: dwerden
                  Facebook: davewerden
                  Twitter: davewerden
                  Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• iMav
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
                    I've lost track among the long threads... have you tried a 374? It seems I recall chat about people liking the 274 better.
                    I am REALLY liking the 274. I suppose if I ended up sticking with it, that would be fine. Honestly, I won’t try a ton to sell the E3…but if someone here is looking for a good deal on an E3, I could make that happen.

Was chatting with a couple of 374 “Sterling” owners. Sounds like they project a bit more and have a trigger option (not sure if I am up for that or not). Custom lead pipe…for whatever that is worth…and a higher quality metal composition (based on info from John Packer).

I’d get a good enough deal on the 374 that I could sell it off without loosing my shorts…

we’ll see. Just spitballing right now.
                    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• UglyGrayDuck
                      • Sep 2022

This is SO interesting to me. I really did not like the JP 174IL I had rented, and the 274 I played briefly at Baltimore Brass ... well, I don't know, it just felt like both the horns were "fighting" me when I played them. Glad you're enjoying it!

Sometimes I wonder a little if I should've just gone with an Adams, but I have to remind myself of how instantly great the shires felt to play, even with somewhat tired chops. And it's not like I'm playing the horn and I think "oh well, I don't like X" about it or anything, it's more of second guessing or FOMO or whatever.
                      Nicholas
                      Shires Q41s
                      Alliance DC3/K&G 4+

Comment

• comebackplayer
                        • Feb 2022

I thought the phrase higher quality metal was kind of curious. I think it just means gold brass. I have trumpets in yellow and gold brass and can't tell a huge difference. People say that gold is darker, but if it is paired with nickel silver or sterling elsewhere often it kind of evens out. I think yellow has a reputation for projecting better, and many of the classic dark sounding instruments were yellow brass. Sterling silver leadpipe also arguably changes the sound. I have two trumpets with sterling pipes and they are bright but sing well. I'd definitely give the 374 a try if you want, but this is just to say that I could see how those mods would change but not necessarily improve the sound.
                        Jupiter 462 & 470, XO 1270
                        Stork 4.5 mouthpiece

Comment

• iMav
                          • May 2011

Shipped the E3 out to Candice today and ordered a JP374 to try out (JP374 w/trigger was $2625 shipped from the same Madison, WI based eBay seller thst is currently selling the JP horns at deep discounts).
                          Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• Arnbone Euph
                            • Jan 2019

Candice will be thrilled; your provided her Christmas miracle this year that will likely "make" her college experience and help her become the music teacher she aspires to become. Bless you. And now you can compare the JP374 to your JP274 and provide us your your perception of their differences, pros and cons. As you know, you gave me first right of refusal on your ADAMS E3, and when you told me who was interested in it, I didn't hesitate to forego the potential joy of finally trying an ADAMS. Not only that, I felt in my bones that the Sterline Virtuoso and I were destinend to spend many productive years together. You seem like a fine human being; maybe our paths will cross one day at a euphonium summer camp or other event. May it come to pass.
                            --Arnie
                            Arnold (Arnie) Williams
                            Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium with Gold Brass bell (Capitol Pops Band, Capitol Pops Tuba Euphonium Quartet)
                            Yamaha YBH-831S Neo Baritone Horn (Joyous Brass, First Baritone)
                            Yamaha YBH-301M Marching Baritone (Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society LMTD)
                            Yamaha YEP-830 Xeno Bass Trombone (Sacramento Concert Band)
                            Euphonium: DW Heritage 4AL (main); K&G 3D (Ophir Prison Band)
                            Bass Trombone: Ferguson M Series Jeff Reynolds

Comment

• iMav
                              • May 2011

I’m doing the adult camp at the International Music Camp next summer.

if I am made aware of opportunities around the country, I may just show up at one you attend!

Her IG handle is “smallhandsbigmusic”. As some may remember, my son has a genetic condition that affects his joints and fingers…missing the middle bones in his fingers, so they are really short (and a bit crooked). When I told him about the sale, he perked up, because he follows her on Instagram. Candice was kind enough to reach out to him and provide an encouraging word. Made his week!
                              Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• iMav
                                • May 2011

Originally posted by comebackplayer View Post
                                I thought the phrase higher quality metal was kind of curious. I think it just means gold brass.
                                I know the 374 is heavier than the 274. (More copper content was mentioned somewhere.)

I’ll be able to compare side-by-side. Maybe even get a recording from a GOOD player on each. (Dept chair here is a euphonium player)
                                Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X