Thread: Clever Custom Trigger - from Member highpitch

Clever Custom Trigger - from Member highpitch

I'm combining two of the posts by senior member highpitch, with details of the custom trigger on his Besson New Standard.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    You can search for this thread using any of these tags: highpitchtrigger, customtrigger, newstandardtrigger
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

My '66 New Standard was totally rebuilt/restored by Dan Oberloh a few years ago. It was taken down to individual components, and those perfected, and reassembled then perfectly replated.

It took over 2 years (with his schedule) and just over $3K. Worth every penny to me, it plays much better than I do. I'm trying to get him to go over my 1918 Hawkes & Son 3&1 the same way.

Bringing an old, high-end horn back to life is a very worthy endeavor in my opinion. They bring the voice back to what it was scored for originally.

I added a couple pix of the trigger detail, and how it looks finished on the horn.

Dennis

PLUS THIS OTHER POST
    Yeah, I'm a euph geek gearhead with some mechanical knowledge.

These detail views were taken during development to show how the linkage works. Pressing inward on the paddle lowers the tuning slide position, and when released it retracts via a hidden spring.

Since the slide is modified to a coaxial tubing type (a slide in a slide in a slide), tuning is effected by rolling the central thumbwheel. No having to detach anything, and can be done on the fly. The thread pitch is such that it stays in place.

I don't have a belly guard, and the only problem is it makes your shirt dirty rubbing on it. I'll get around to fixing that sometime.

I have come to find myself using my social finger on the side valve, and digits 4&5 on the paddle.

Much credit goes to Dan Oberloh in Seattle for taking my ideas and turning them into reality. He may be willing to use this design on other horns.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trigger01.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	11322 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trigger02.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	11323 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trigger03.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	11324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trigger04.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	11325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trigger05.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	11326
    Last edited by davewerden; 03-21-2024 at 02:26 PM.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

2. Very cool, gorgeous horn!

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I don't have a belly guard, and the only problem is it makes your shirt dirty rubbing on it. I'll get around to fixing that sometime.
    Does the lack of a guard also not hinder the mechanics of the slide, adding resistance from your belly?

Thanks, Dave, for posting this about my axe. I appreciate your doing so!

As far as it rubbing on my shirt, it only occurs when I'm playing while standing.

DG

4. Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    As far as it rubbing on my shirt, it only occurs when I'm playing while standing.

DG
    Oh, interesting. I imagine it'd do the same for me standing or sitting, since I usually hold the horn the same way (but I haven't had my Willson in a long time). But I guess it's far enough from your body that it doesn't actually block the slide from moving, either way.