Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so cheap??

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Hood View Post
    Does the outside pocket have the option to detach from the rest of the case? It looks a bit slim to be able to carry much music. A pocket that can carry music is a plus in a case in my book.

- Sara
    Yes, the bag can be removed. It is zipped to the case. Attached are a couple photos showing the size. One pic has a large Leduc publication (about as large as most music we will ever carry) and an 8-1/2 x 11" publication, which even fits vertically! I have often used the bag alone for convenience. The other pic shows a good-size stack of music I just grabbed at random. Once the bag is zipped it becomes nice & tidy.

The one disadvantage I see is the bag has a bit of a "stickie-outie" factor when zipped in place. You need to allow a little extra space when passing through doors so you don't catch the edge of the bag. (In normal use a collision like that would probably not hurt the bag or the case; it's made of good material and the zippers are robust.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adams Bag Size.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	655.9 KB 
ID:	9504 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adams Bag Loaded.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	863.6 KB 
ID:	9505
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

BTW, others seem to have noticed I’m playing on a different horn. While I haven’t notice a big sound difference from behind the horn, last night after community band practice, one of the trombone players (my kids’ former high school band teacher, retired) said, “Larry, you sounded AMAZING tonight! “. LOL
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    BTW, others seem to have noticed I’m playing on a different horn. While I haven’t notice a big sound difference from behind the horn, last night after community band practice, one of the trombone players (my kids’ former high school band teacher, retired) said, “Larry, you sounded AMAZING tonight! “. LOL
    I just got my Shires last night and my girlfriend said "if I didn't know better, I'd think you were intentionally playing badly on the other horn as an excuse to buy this one..." lol
    Nicholas
    Shires Q41s
    Alliance DC3/K&G 4+

Quote Originally Posted by UglyGrayDuck View Post
    I just got my Shires last night and my girlfriend said "if I didn't know better, I'd think you were intentionally playing badly on the other horn as an excuse to buy this one..." lol
    Did she notice more of a difference than you notice “behind the horn”?

(I notice playability differences, primarily.)
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Did she notice more of a difference than you notice “behind the horn”?

(I notice playability differences, primarily.)
    Hmm, that's kind of difficult to answer. The difference behind the horn is pretty noticable to me, as the JP sounds pretty different to me. I feel like I made the JP sound "Good" but the shires really does sound a lot better, even from behind the horn. It could be a bit of placebo since the Shires is so much easier to play and feels so much better, but I doubt it.
    Nicholas
    Shires Q41s
    Alliance DC3/K&G 4+

The Adams E3 (Selected series) horn is $400 more expensive now at Thomann Music than when I purchased mine.

That’s something other than simply exchange rate…
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Have spent some significant time on my recently-acquired John Packer 274. I’m REALLY liking it! So much so, I am considering selling my E3 and picking up a JP374.

Would see about passing along my savings to someone stateside. Sell for something around $5500. Still contemplating… need to spend a bit more time on the JP horn.

However, if anyone is currently chomping at the bit for a like-new E3…DM me.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Have spent some significant time on my recently-acquired John Packer 274. I’m REALLY liking it! So much so, I am considering selling my E3 and picking up a JP374.

Would see about passing along my savings to someone stateside. Sell for something around $5500. Still contemplating… need to spend a bit more time on the JP horn.

However, if anyone is currently chomping at the bit for a like-new E3…DM me.
    I've lost track among the long threads... have you tried a 374? It seems I recall chat about people liking the 274 better.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I've lost track among the long threads... have you tried a 374? It seems I recall chat about people liking the 274 better.
    I am REALLY liking the 274. I suppose if I ended up sticking with it, that would be fine. Honestly, I won’t try a ton to sell the E3…but if someone here is looking for a good deal on an E3, I could make that happen.

Was chatting with a couple of 374 “Sterling” owners. Sounds like they project a bit more and have a trigger option (not sure if I am up for that or not). Custom lead pipe…for whatever that is worth…and a higher quality metal composition (based on info from John Packer).

I’d get a good enough deal on the 374 that I could sell it off without loosing my shorts…

we’ll see. Just spitballing right now.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

This is SO interesting to me. I really did not like the JP 174IL I had rented, and the 274 I played briefly at Baltimore Brass ... well, I don't know, it just felt like both the horns were "fighting" me when I played them. Glad you're enjoying it!

Sometimes I wonder a little if I should've just gone with an Adams, but I have to remind myself of how instantly great the shires felt to play, even with somewhat tired chops. And it's not like I'm playing the horn and I think "oh well, I don't like X" about it or anything, it's more of second guessing or FOMO or whatever.
    Nicholas
    Shires Q41s
    Alliance DC3/K&G 4+

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast