Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so cheap??

I did some more research on this, and it seems that at least part of the bargain price has to do with timing and currency fluctuations.

You can post about your experience when all details are in. I'll probably make my own feelings known again at that time, but I want the forum to be a complete source of info (as much as that is possible). No single action will save or end the world, but I do have a strong concern that we keep our USA dealers healthy. It's like eating healthy, I suppose - it may not help me much today, but in the long run it's what I should do. (I'm actually better at buying local/USA than I am at eating, tho!)

Have you approached the USA dealers to see if they can bend somewhat on price? I would ask Austin Custom Brass and also The Brass Stop. Worst case: they say no.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

After the first US online retailer I contacted seemed to throw inaccurate shade at Thomann Music, I figured I’d just get more of the same.

One of the reasons I want to see a transaction through is so others can benefit from the additional information.
    Last edited by iMav; 10-03-2022 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adams representative
    Hi Larry,
    Our warranty policy is also valid on horns purchased through Thomann.
    Please also check their warranty policy.
    Let me know if there are any questions. Thanks!

Confirmation that there is no issue with warranties of Adams horns purchased through Thomann. Got a similar confirmation from a Willson representative.
    (I’ll provide email screenshots of all relevant communications when I put together my purchase super thread. )

The dishonesty from WWBW is disheartening…
    Last edited by iMav; 10-04-2022 at 02:04 AM.

Huh. I just noticed that the price on the Adams E3 has gone down by $75ish since this thread was started.
    (and, actually, it is the ONLY horn that has gone down in price on that list graphic I posted. LUCKY ME!) LOL
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

I’m going to be keeping all updates contained in this thread.

Today, I am emailing (as suggested by folks here) some US retailers to see if they can price match (or at least come close on price to) Thomann Music’s pricing. Doesn’t hurt to ask! (Also asking if they have any disabled vet pricing because, again, it doesn’t hurt to ask!)

I am going with an Adams E3 Selected euphonium. Currently in stock at Thomann Music. First obstacle, how to pay. My debit card has a $5k per transaction limit. So, either need to contact the bank to adjust (at least for a one-time transaction) or go with a bank transfer (which is just a big pain in the butt and time suck!).

Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I did some more research on this, and it seems that at least part of the bargain price has to do with timing and currency fluctuations.
    I think it's mostly this. Thomann generally has good prices (because they're also more of a bulk-volume store so I would assume they can get more bulk discounts?) and also the currency fluctuations. Before this year, the British Pound Sterling was the most expensive, followed by the Euro being a bit cheaper and the US$ being even cheaper (as a rule of thumb I would always say €1 is rougly 0.75GBP and US$1.25-ish). However, at this moment, the Euro is worth less than the dollar. So for a €7K euphonium, in USD that would be roughly $6.8K, and GBP6.1K.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Quote Originally Posted by TheJH View Post
    I think it's mostly this. Thomann generally has good prices (because they're also more of a bulk-volume store so I would assume they can get more bulk discounts?) and also the currency fluctuations. Before this year, the British Pound Sterling was the most expensive, followed by the Euro being a bit cheaper and the US$ being even cheaper (as a rule of thumb I would always say €1 is rougly 0.75GBP and US$1.25-ish). However, at this moment, the Euro is worth less than the dollar. So for a €7K euphonium, in USD that would be roughly $6.8K, and GBP6.1K.
    That's great. Some of the US retailers tried to make the case it was because they aren't authorized dealers, they don't warranty their products, the manufacturer warranty is invalidated if sold through them, they pile on a bunch of extra fees, etc...

But it seems none of that is true. They are a reputable company and the exchange rates are simply stacked in US buyers' favor right now.

(BTW, I have yet to correspond with a US retailer who has even tried to make the case that if I buy from them, I get the added benefit of personalized service, a stateside retailer who stands by their products, etc. Everyone who has responded so far has simply tried to throw Thomann under the bus. It's a poor practice and definitely puts me off.)
    Last edited by iMav; 10-07-2022 at 01:05 PM.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Thomann Music sold the last E3 they had in stock right before my rep was able to reserve it for my order. Which is fine...they will order a new one from Adams for me.

I have been assigned a personal rep that will be my point of contact throughout the process (has been very helpful so far). He let me know that they have a 30-day money back guarantee, no questions asked. So, if after I receive the horn I decide it is not for me, I can send it back (and he said they would cover return shipping as well.). So, everything SOUNDS great. We'll see when the rubber hits the road.

As promised, full disclosure. See image of my completed order invoice (will be paying via bank transfer later today...once my bank opens). Ordered a few mouthpieces as well (also have a Schilke 52D, a Bach 4G, and an Alliance E2 (found a new one) coming from another seller).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	email-order-total.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	9380
    https://i.ibb.co/488d1NG/email-order-total.png (larger version, easier to read)

I still have outstanding queries out to a few different US retailers regarding what they might be able to do price-wise. If one of them comes through, I will buy from them and either sell one of the horns or cancel/return the horn from Thomann (which they have already told me would be fine).

Ok. That's it for now.
    Last edited by iMav; 10-07-2022 at 08:03 AM.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Hello Larry, very interesting... Purchasing through Thomann, will you be saddled by extra charges for custom duty and brokerage?

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I want to encourage more dealerships in the USA, not fewer. My local Schmitt Music store is small and doesn't have as much stock of accessories as I would like, but there is a larger Schmitt about 25 minutes from my house. I drive there when I need accessories and I also have used their repair shop several times. I can get my oil/grease/cleaners from Amazon, but if Schmitt has them, I'm in the car and going there. And their staff has been helpful. Despite my encyclopedic knowledge of all things brass (HA!) I have found very good advice from the staff at Schmitt.
    I actually DID contact my "local" Schmitt dealer (about an hour away...in Fargo). I asked if they had ANY pro horns I could try out...and/or if they could transfer some from another store so I could check them out. They called around, said there were some in their Brooklyn Center store, and said they would get back to me. They reached back out and said that they would not be able to borrow any from that store until after the end of the year.

It is around that time I decided it would not be feasible for me to try some horns before purchase (based on this and other attempts). It was also around this time that I happened upon the pricing on the Thomann Music site.
    Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast