X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheJH
    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
    I did some more research on this, and it seems that at least part of the bargain price has to do with timing and currency fluctuations.
    I think it's mostly this. Thomann generally has good prices (because they're also more of a bulk-volume store so I would assume they can get more bulk discounts?) and also the currency fluctuations. Before this year, the British Pound Sterling was the most expensive, followed by the Euro being a bit cheaper and the US$ being even cheaper (as a rule of thumb I would always say €1 is rougly 0.75GBP and US$1.25-ish). However, at this moment, the Euro is worth less than the dollar. So for a €7K euphonium, in USD that would be roughly $6.8K, and GBP6.1K.
    Euphoniums
    2008 Willson 2960TA Celebration
    1979 Boosey & Hawkes Sovereign (Round Stamp)
    Mouthpiece: Denis Wick SM4
    Baritone
    1975 Besson New Standard
    Mouthpiece: Courtois 10

Comment

• iMav
      • May 2011

Originally posted by TheJH View Post
      I think it's mostly this. Thomann generally has good prices (because they're also more of a bulk-volume store so I would assume they can get more bulk discounts?) and also the currency fluctuations. Before this year, the British Pound Sterling was the most expensive, followed by the Euro being a bit cheaper and the US$ being even cheaper (as a rule of thumb I would always say €1 is rougly 0.75GBP and US$1.25-ish). However, at this moment, the Euro is worth less than the dollar. So for a €7K euphonium, in USD that would be roughly $6.8K, and GBP6.1K.
      That's great. Some of the US retailers tried to make the case it was because they aren't authorized dealers, they don't warranty their products, the manufacturer warranty is invalidated if sold through them, they pile on a bunch of extra fees, etc...

But it seems none of that is true. They are a reputable company and the exchange rates are simply stacked in US buyers' favor right now.

(BTW, I have yet to correspond with a US retailer who has even tried to make the case that if I buy from them, I get the added benefit of personalized service, a stateside retailer who stands by their products, etc. Everyone who has responded so far has simply tried to throw Thomann under the bus. It's a poor practice and definitely puts me off.)
      Last edited by iMav; 10-07-2022, 01:05 PM.
      Groups
      Valley City Community Band
      Valley City State University Concert Band
      2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• iMav
        • May 2011

Thomann Music sold the last E3 they had in stock right before my rep was able to reserve it for my order. Which is fine...they will order a new one from Adams for me.

I have been assigned a personal rep that will be my point of contact throughout the process (has been very helpful so far). He let me know that they have a 30-day money back guarantee, no questions asked. So, if after I receive the horn I decide it is not for me, I can send it back (and he said they would cover return shipping as well.). So, everything SOUNDS great. We'll see when the rubber hits the road.

As promised, full disclosure. See image of my completed order invoice (will be paying via bank transfer later today...once my bank opens). Ordered a few mouthpieces as well (also have a Schilke 52D, a Bach 4G, and an Alliance E2 (found a new one) coming from another seller).
        Click image for larger version

Name:	email-order-total.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	118072
        https://i.ibb.co/488d1NG/email-order-total.png (larger version, easier to read)

I still have outstanding queries out to a few different US retailers regarding what they might be able to do price-wise. If one of them comes through, I will buy from them and either sell one of the horns or cancel/return the horn from Thomann (which they have already told me would be fine).

Ok. That's it for now.
        Last edited by iMav; 10-07-2022, 08:03 AM.
        Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• guidocorona
          • Jun 2018

Hello Larry, very interesting... Purchasing through Thomann, will you be saddled by extra charges for custom duty and brokerage?

Regards, Guido
          M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
          Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
          Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• iMav
            • May 2011

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
            I want to encourage more dealerships in the USA, not fewer. My local Schmitt Music store is small and doesn't have as much stock of accessories as I would like, but there is a larger Schmitt about 25 minutes from my house. I drive there when I need accessories and I also have used their repair shop several times. I can get my oil/grease/cleaners from Amazon, but if Schmitt has them, I'm in the car and going there. And their staff has been helpful. Despite my encyclopedic knowledge of all things brass (HA!) I have found very good advice from the staff at Schmitt.
            I actually DID contact my "local" Schmitt dealer (about an hour away...in Fargo). I asked if they had ANY pro horns I could try out...and/or if they could transfer some from another store so I could check them out. They called around, said there were some in their Brooklyn Center store, and said they would get back to me. They reached back out and said that they would not be able to borrow any from that store until after the end of the year.

It is around that time I decided it would not be feasible for me to try some horns before purchase (based on this and other attempts). It was also around this time that I happened upon the pricing on the Thomann Music site.
            Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• iMav
              • May 2011

Originally posted by guidocorona View Post
              Hello Larry, very interesting... Purchasing through Thomann, will you be saddled by extra charges for custom duty and brokerage?
              They waive all VAT fees because it is being sold to the US. The US MAY charge up to a 10% import fee. However, the last several people I've talked with who have purchased through Thomann (and live in the US), said they weren't charged any import fees.

So...we'll see! (one of the reasons I am documenting this entire process...there seemed to be no US resident in this community that has purchased a horn from them before.)
              Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• iMav
                • May 2011

Originally posted by iMav View Post
                (BTW, I have yet to correspond with a US retailer who has even tried to make the case that if I buy from them, I get the added benefit of personalized service, a stateside retailer who stands by their products, etc. Everyone who has responded so far has simply tried to throw Thomann under the bus. It's a poor practice and definitely puts me off.)
                I DID want to mention that both the Horn Guys and ACB emailed me today and were very upfront and honest. Neither can compete with the current Thomann pricing...but ACB offered a veteran discount and stressed a commitment to delivering a product in tip-top condition.
                Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• iMav
                  • May 2011

Another tidbit of information. I checked out the wayback machine (internet archive). There isn't a complete listing. But from 1 Nov 2021 I found the following pricing (also contrasting with their current pricing in parenthesis):

- Besson Prestige Euphonium Steven Mead - $7799 ($7555)
                  - Besson BE2052-2 Prestige Euphonium - $7555 ($7590)
                  - Willson 2900 TA Euphonium - $6499 ($5599)
                  - Adams E3 Selected M 0,60 SP - $6799 ($5699)
                  - Adams E1 Custom M 060 Trigger AF - $6599 ($5899)
                  - Adams Sonic Euphonium - $3899 ($3290)

Not much different on the Besson horns...but a SIGNIFICANT difference with the Willson and Adams horns from last year.
                  Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• tokuno
                    • Sep 2008

Re-reading this thread, I apologize for the tone of my earlier post advocating support of local/small vendors. It was an OT rant, and appears critical of Larry's Thomann purchase.

To the contrary, I appreciate his alerting us to an eye-opening opportunity to pick up a dream horn at significant discount, and for the interesting and informative follow-up posts.

I have cast wandering/wondering eyes at my son's 2052 (fabulous-playing horn, and oh, the timbre!), and although my Sterling fulfills my needs, it wasn't without considerable internal dialogue that I didn't contact Thomann . . .

To clarify: I do buy online/remote and from large conglomerates, but I prefer - when practicable - to support the little guys, and I avoid using their time, services, inventories, knowledge, or other assets without following through with a purchase from them.

Apologies and thanks, Larry.

Comment

• iMav
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by tokuno View Post
                      Re-reading this thread, I apologize for the tone of my earlier post advocating support of local/small vendors. It was an OT rant, and appears critical of Larry's Thomann purchase.
                      To the contrary, I appreciate his alerting us to an eye-opening opportunity to pick up a dream horn at significant discount, and for the interesting and informative follow-up posts.
                      I have cast wandering/wondering eyes at my son's 2052 (fabulous-playing horn, and oh, the timbre!), and although my Sterling fulfills my needs, it wasn't without considerable internal dialogue that I didn't contact Thomann . . .
                      To clarify: I do buy online/remote and from large conglomerates, but I prefer - when practicable - to support the little guys, and I avoid using their time, services, inventories, knowledge, or other assets without following through with a purchase from them.
                      Apologies and thanks, Larry.
                      No apologies necessary. I didn't take anything you said in a negative light at all. I fully understand wanting to support the "local guy".

I'm just over the moon to be waiting on a new, pro-level horn.
                      Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• iMav
                        • May 2011

Wire transfer FINALLY released and sent to Thomann Music (after being held up for nearly five days by my bank's fraud department).

Name:	wire-released.PNG
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	118079

Now the waiting game BEGINS!
                        Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• iMav
                          • May 2011

Order being processed now. (generic verbiage on the screenshot. The Adams E3 order requires them to put in an order from Adams...as they have none in stock).

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	118080Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	118081
                          Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• JTJ
                            • Nov 2005

A lot of the change since last November might be the exchange rate for dollar/euro. The Euro is low and costs much less in dollars than it did last year. Not surprising they don't have the Adams in inventory, unless they have a floating retail price on the horns they sell, otherwise they run exchange rate risk on the horns they buy and keep in inventory to resell.

Comment

• iMav
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by JTJ View Post
                              A lot of the change since last November might be the exchange rate for dollar/euro. The Euro is low and costs much less in dollars than it did last year. Not surprising they don't have the Adams in inventory, unless they have a floating retail price on the horns they sell, otherwise they run exchange rate risk on the horns they buy and keep in inventory to resell.
                              Yeah. I actually think “in stock” simply means Adams has horns available for them. (Other retailers I spoke with gave me a list of horns that were available to order immediately from Adams (it was next to nothing).

Curious how long this will take. Maybe I need a Wessex Sinfonico to tide me over.
                              Last edited by iMav; 10-12-2022, 12:36 AM.
                              Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• iMav
                                • May 2011

oh boy, Oh boy, Oh Boy, OH Boy, OH BOY!!!

Name:	3.PNG
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	118083Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	118084

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	118085

(this is especially surprising to me because when corresponding with the Horn Guys and ACB (well, AND Thomann Music, initially), I found out that Adams had none in stock and that it would be several months before an E3 could be acquired...so, I'm living some sort of charmed life right now. LOL)
                                Last edited by iMav; 10-13-2022, 09:16 AM.
                                Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X