Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you had to recommend a "second best", upper-mid to pro level euphonium.......

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    I'm not sure why people say the brass bells sound dull.
    Thanks for the sound comparison video. Very helpful.

This same person said that an E3 would be too big of a horn for me, and that I would not be able to provide enough air (given the simple fact I am coming back to euphonium after significant time away). Because of this, he recommended the Willson 2900 (which just so happens to be the horn HE plays. ).

Certainly, I don't have "pro level" breathe control...however, I think I can move some significant air.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

I was away from the horn for over 50 years. Since starting again in my 70s, I have not had any issue with both a Besson Prestige 2052 or the Adam E3. I went to the Adam E3 after the Besson basically because of intonation issues. It is just easier for me to play the Adam in tune rather than using the trigger to play the Besson in tune.

I do not find either horn too big for me.

At 16 I got my 967 and it's the only horn I've ever played... well since I bought a BEAUTIFUL Sterling Virtuoso baritone from a certain someone in this group.
    DANA

Meet the Family
    Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
    Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
    Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
    Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
    Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
    Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
    Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Thanks for the sound comparison video. Very helpful.

This same person said that an E3 would be too big of a horn for me, and that I would not be able to provide enough air (given the simple fact I am coming back to euphonium after significant time away). Because of this, he recommended the Willson 2900 (which just so happens to be the horn HE plays. ).

Certainly, I don't have "pro level" breathe control...however, I think I can move some significant air.
    Interesting. I went from a 2900 to an E3 with SS bell. I couldn’t push enough air through the Willson, likely because of the thickness of the tubing. Not a problem with the .6mm tubing on the Adams. The SS bell allows the player to alter the tone if needed.

A final point, the larger bore of the E3 has taught me to push more air through the horn when needed but under normal playing getting the horn to vibrate provides a beautiful sound.

If I couldn't play my E3 I'd go back to Yamaha, probably Neo w/trigger. It allowed me to do everything I needed and wanted to do and was a breeze to play.
    Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
    K&G 3.5D
    ---------------------------------
    Founder and Solo Euphonium
    San Francisco Brass Band

6. I've had experience with Bessons, Yamaha and Geneva.

Through this journey I have found that the instrument first needs to respond to the way I like to blow by making the sound I want to hear. I will work around everything else (e.g. intonation, ergonomics, etc.) to a reasonable extent.

Having to back off and let the horn vibrate and make whatever sound it wants just doesn't complement with the way I approach playing the euphonium.

My current horn is a new Prestige, and the issues it presents are challenges I'm happy to live with because I feel like I'm one with the instrument when I play it.

The Yamaha Neo are great, and super easy to play but I can't get the sound I want from it with the way I want to play.

My second choice will be Geneva. Although that might change if I get to spend some time on Sterling or Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by superted View Post
    I've had experience with Bessons, Yamaha and Geneva.

Through this journey I have found that the instrument first needs to respond to the way I like to blow by making the sound I want to hear. I will work around everything else (e.g. intonation, ergonomics, etc.) to a reasonable extent.

Having to back off and let the horn vibrate and make whatever sound it wants just doesn't complement with the way I approach playing the euphonium.

My current horn is a new Prestige, and the issues it presents are challenges I'm happy to live with because I feel like I'm one with the instrument when I play it.

The Yamaha Neo are great, and super easy to play but I can't get the sound I want from it with the way I want to play.

My second choice will be Geneva. Although that might change if I get to spend some time on Sterling or Adams.
    My description may not be accurate and certainly your experience may differ. There’s a reason so many high quality players on this site have chosen this Adams.

I appreciate all the participation and feedback in my recent threads. I am very excited to receive my new E3. The wait is going to try my patience!! 😂

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    I had to wait about 6 months from the time of order to when I eventually got my custom-made Adams E3. I went from an easy-going, laid-back gentleman with a full head of hair to an irritable, babbling, ornery, impatient half-bald nitwit in 6 short months waiting for my Adams!! Well, not really. I didn't have a full head of hair to start.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Mine is the standardized “Select” configuration…but I still have to wait for the order from Adams (Thomann sold the last of the stock they had before I submitted my order.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast