Sponsor Banner

Collapse

If you had to recommend a "second best", upper-mid to pro level euphonium.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by iMav View Post
    I actually hadn’t given the Miraphone much thought. May listen to a few vids and read some reviews before I go all in on the Adams E3.

Anyone owned both the E3 and the M5050 and prefer the Miraphone horn??
    John posted about his personal experience with both horns on the previous page:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...966#post163966
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• iMav
      • May 2011

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
      John posted about his personal experience with both horns on the previous page.
      Saw that. I guess I should have said…anyone else? 😂
      Groups
      Valley City Community Band
      Valley City State University Concert Band
      2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Comment

• JTJ
        • Nov 2005

Well, I've owned a Miraphone 5050 and an Adams E2. I was quite happy with the 5050, playing it for a year or so in both wind and brass bands. I had to quit because arthritis in my hands made playing it painful; something about the valve setup was painful. The sound was huge if you needed it to be--giant, hall filling sound. The E2 was a good horn, but not so special, really. My first Adams was an E1 with a sterling silver bell, a truly great euphonium. I think the great Adams euphoniums are the sterling silver belled ones because of qualities in the sound, but I feel the brass belled ones I've played just are not in the same class.

I've owned most of the classic, "professional" euphs, but my favorite back up euphonium is the Yamaha Neo 642. It does so much right, has such smoothness and evenness of sound from top to bottom, and blends so well with other brass, that I know I can count on it in any situation.

Arthritis in my hands has kept me from playing much lately, but I've been playing an Adams Sonic and a 642 Neo in the last year or so.

Comment

• iMav
          • May 2011

Originally posted by JTJ View Post
          I think the great Adams euphoniums are the sterling silver belled ones because of qualities in the sound, but I feel the brass belled ones I've played just are not in the same class.
          Originally posted by Random FB user
          The Adams E3s that I have tried (one of which I was around for months) have a more dull sound- I’d imagine this is due to the overall heavy weight of the instrument...The E3 is essentially the euphonium version of a literal tank- plays like it and sounds like it too.
          I've heard others elude to the non-sterling bell Adams euphoniums sounding dull. Given the high Adams praise here, I assume most disagree? (now I am weighing the significant monetary ramifications of going with a custom E3 over the Select model... )

One functional thing I like about the Adams horns (or, at least, like the idea of it) is the adjustable mouthpiece receiver. I plan to re-evaluate my mouthpiece (currently play on an SM4U, gold-plated) when I get a new horn...and I know that different mouthpieces will sit differently in the receiver. So, being able to adjust for the different mouthpieces (AND my personal preference) is a big selling point. I also don't want a trigger...so intonation is a selling point too (and, looking at Dave's testing...the E3 is tops in this category (knowing full well this can vary widely based on individual player)).
          Last edited by iMav; 10-03-2022, 07:58 AM.
          Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• davewerden
            Administrator
            • Nov 2005

I've heard others elude to the non-sterling bell Adams euphoniums sounding dull. Given the high Adams praise here, I assume most disagree? (now I am weighing the significant monetary ramifications of going with a custom E3 over the Select model... )
            I'm not sure why people say the brass bells sound dull. Gary Curtin (shown in the image attached) chose to play an E2 in brass (antique finish) and sounds quite nice.

Also, I very nearly switched to a .70 brass E3 with gold satin lacquer, and that horn sounded quite close to the sterling silver bell version I own. Here is an A/B audio comparison that I made to help me decide:

https://youtu.be/DlM1lC6moKw

Attached Files
            Dave Werden (ASCAP)
            Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
            Adams Artist (Adams E3)
            Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
            YouTube: dwerden
            Facebook: davewerden
            Twitter: davewerden
            Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• iMav
              • May 2011

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
              I'm not sure why people say the brass bells sound dull.
              Thanks for the sound comparison video. Very helpful.

This same person said that an E3 would be too big of a horn for me, and that I would not be able to provide enough air (given the simple fact I am coming back to euphonium after significant time away). Because of this, he recommended the Willson 2900 (which just so happens to be the horn HE plays. ).

Certainly, I don't have "pro level" breathe control...however, I think I can move some significant air.
              Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• rgorscak
                • Feb 2021

I was away from the horn for over 50 years. Since starting again in my 70s, I have not had any issue with both a Besson Prestige 2052 or the Adam E3. I went to the Adam E3 after the Besson basically because of intonation issues. It is just easier for me to play the Adam in tune rather than using the trigger to play the Besson in tune.

I do not find either horn too big for me.

Comment

• anadmai
                  • Mar 2022

At 16 I got my 967 and it's the only horn I've ever played... well since I bought a BEAUTIFUL Sterling Virtuoso baritone from a certain someone in this group.
                  DANA

Meet the Family
                  Junior - Euphonium - 1906 - Henry Distin Mfg.
                  Hastings - Trombone - 1952 - Boosey and Hawkes
                  Bramwell - Euphonium - 1988 - Besson/Boosey and Hawkes (BE967)
                  Margaret - Baritone - 2015 - Sterling1050HS
                  Albert - Eb Bass - 2023 - Dillon 981S

New York Staff Band - 2nd Baritone - 1991-1994
                  Philadelphia Freedom Band - Euphonium
                  Lancaster British Brass Band (all hail the 2nd baritone) - 2022-

Comment

• MichaelSchott
                    • Mar 2012

Thanks for the sound comparison video. Very helpful.

This same person said that an E3 would be too big of a horn for me, and that I would not be able to provide enough air (given the simple fact I am coming back to euphonium after significant time away). Because of this, he recommended the Willson 2900 (which just so happens to be the horn HE plays. ).

Certainly, I don't have "pro level" breathe control...however, I think I can move some significant air.
                    Interesting. I went from a 2900 to an E3 with SS bell. I couldn’t push enough air through the Willson, likely because of the thickness of the tubing. Not a problem with the .6mm tubing on the Adams. The SS bell allows the player to alter the tone if needed.

A final point, the larger bore of the E3 has taught me to push more air through the horn when needed but under normal playing getting the horn to vibrate provides a beautiful sound.

Comment

• JakeGuilbo
                      • Feb 2006

If I couldn't play my E3 I'd go back to Yamaha, probably Neo w/trigger. It allowed me to do everything I needed and wanted to do and was a breeze to play.
                      Adams E3 0.6 with SS Bell
                      K&G 3.5D
                      ---------------------------------
                      Founder and Solo Euphonium
                      San Francisco Brass Band

Comment

• superted
                        • Dec 2007

I've had experience with Bessons, Yamaha and Geneva.

Through this journey I have found that the instrument first needs to respond to the way I like to blow by making the sound I want to hear. I will work around everything else (e.g. intonation, ergonomics, etc.) to a reasonable extent.

Having to back off and let the horn vibrate and make whatever sound it wants just doesn't complement with the way I approach playing the euphonium.

My current horn is a new Prestige, and the issues it presents are challenges I'm happy to live with because I feel like I'm one with the instrument when I play it.

The Yamaha Neo are great, and super easy to play but I can't get the sound I want from it with the way I want to play.

My second choice will be Geneva. Although that might change if I get to spend some time on Sterling or Adams.
                        Ted

Besson Prestige BE2052-8G-0 Euphonium
                        Besson Sovereign 956 Baritone

Comment

• MichaelSchott
                          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by superted View Post
                          I've had experience with Bessons, Yamaha and Geneva.

Through this journey I have found that the instrument first needs to respond to the way I like to blow by making the sound I want to hear. I will work around everything else (e.g. intonation, ergonomics, etc.) to a reasonable extent.

Having to back off and let the horn vibrate and make whatever sound it wants just doesn't complement with the way I approach playing the euphonium.

My current horn is a new Prestige, and the issues it presents are challenges I'm happy to live with because I feel like I'm one with the instrument when I play it.

The Yamaha Neo are great, and super easy to play but I can't get the sound I want from it with the way I want to play.

My second choice will be Geneva. Although that might change if I get to spend some time on Sterling or Adams.
                          My description may not be accurate and certainly your experience may differ. There’s a reason so many high quality players on this site have chosen this Adams.

Comment

• iMav
                            • May 2011

I appreciate all the participation and feedback in my recent threads. I am very excited to receive my new E3. The wait is going to try my patience!! 😂
                            Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

• John Morgan
                              • Apr 2014

I had to wait about 6 months from the time of order to when I eventually got my custom-made Adams E3. I went from an easy-going, laid-back gentleman with a full head of hair to an irritable, babbling, ornery, impatient half-bald nitwit in 6 short months waiting for my Adams!! Well, not really. I didn't have a full head of hair to start.
                              John Morgan
                              The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
                              Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
                              1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
                              Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
                              Year Round Except Summer:
                              Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
                              KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
                              Summer Only:
                              Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
                              Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Comment

• iMav
                                • May 2011

Mine is the standardized “Select” configuration…but I still have to wait for the order from Adams (Thomann sold the last of the stock they had before I submitted my order.)
                                Groups

Larry Herzog Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X