Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you had to recommend a "second best", upper-mid to pro level euphonium.......

S.E.Shires, Geneva, and Yamaha are all off the list because a certain retailer doesn't sell them to the US market. But, I am leaning HEAVILY towards Adams ATT.
    Last edited by iMav; 10-02-2022 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    I'm often surprised that I don't hear more about the Yamahas. It seems MANY stencil horns copy the 642. I see them a lot in the academic "world" (well, my only experience is what I've seen at UND (North Dakota) and UW (Wisconsin-Madison)...I see low-to-mid tier horns at my local state college).

Before embarking on some research, it was my assumption I'd probably be choosing between a Yamaha 642 and a Willson 2900. Boy was I wrong! LOL
    I've logged pretty significant hours (at least a year on each) on every pro euphonium Yamaha ever made - owned a 641 for 14 years, had an OG 642 for about a year in undergrad, and have had a Neo 642 and an 842 at different points in my Army career. Honestly, it's the first brand that comes to mind as a "second best" option - every horn I've had was very good and I'd be content if any of those was the only horn I had for the rest of my playing life.

At the moment, I have a Shires Q41 - it's a great value and it does what I need it to do. My biggest complaints are the sort of thing that I can live with. If money were no object, the custom Shires, Adams, and Willson would be on my short list.
    Andrew Easley
    Principal Euphonium, 35th Infantry Division Band of the Kansas Army National Guard

Hello IMAV, Concerning Shires, I noticed that that DillonMusic has demo Q40 in stock for $4495. This is a hefty $1720 below their list price of $6215.

Food for thought.

Regards, Guido
    M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
    Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
    Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

I came to Miraphone after I attended a workshop and got to play Demondrae’s 5050 back to back with my Sterling that I had at the time. It was a revelation to me, as I had to work so hard to make the sterling sound the way I wanted to that I had no brainpower left to make music. I stopped at Dillon on the way home and ordered a 5050 right there. I’m on my third one (I had 2 at one time, sold one, then the second was damaged falling out of the back of my car).

I love the flexibility of the sound of the Miraphone, and as John says, the high B natural is great, as is the high D. That instrument gives me an easily accessible high range (up to F easily).

If I had to choose a “second choice” it would probably be an Adam’s E2. I played Aaron Vanderweele’s at the time he was playing Adam’s, and it felt quite similar to the Miraphone. I have not yet tried any of the Shires, but I hope to on my next visit to the Shires factory, as I have 3 shires trombones that I love.

Don
    Last edited by djwpe; 10-05-2022 at 10:44 PM.

I actually hadn’t given the Miraphone much thought. May listen to a few vids and read some reviews before I go all in on the Adams E3.

Anyone owned both the E3 and the M5050 and prefer the Miraphone horn??

I actually hadn’t given the Miraphone much thought. May listen to a few vids and read some reviews before I go all in on the Adams E3.

Anyone owned both the E3 and the M5050 and prefer the Miraphone horn??
    John posted about his personal experience with both horns on the previous page:

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...966#post163966
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by davewerden View Post
    John posted about his personal experience with both horns on the previous page.
    Saw that. I guess I should have said…anyone else? 😂

Well, I've owned a Miraphone 5050 and an Adams E2. I was quite happy with the 5050, playing it for a year or so in both wind and brass bands. I had to quit because arthritis in my hands made playing it painful; something about the valve setup was painful. The sound was huge if you needed it to be--giant, hall filling sound. The E2 was a good horn, but not so special, really. My first Adams was an E1 with a sterling silver bell, a truly great euphonium. I think the great Adams euphoniums are the sterling silver belled ones because of qualities in the sound, but I feel the brass belled ones I've played just are not in the same class.

I've owned most of the classic, "professional" euphs, but my favorite back up euphonium is the Yamaha Neo 642. It does so much right, has such smoothness and evenness of sound from top to bottom, and blends so well with other brass, that I know I can count on it in any situation.

Arthritis in my hands has kept me from playing much lately, but I've been playing an Adams Sonic and a 642 Neo in the last year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
    I think the great Adams euphoniums are the sterling silver belled ones because of qualities in the sound, but I feel the brass belled ones I've played just are not in the same class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Random FB user
    The Adams E3s that I have tried (one of which I was around for months) have a more dull sound- I’d imagine this is due to the overall heavy weight of the instrument...The E3 is essentially the euphonium version of a literal tank- plays like it and sounds like it too.
    I've heard others elude to the non-sterling bell Adams euphoniums sounding dull. Given the high Adams praise here, I assume most disagree? (now I am weighing the significant monetary ramifications of going with a custom E3 over the Select model... )

One functional thing I like about the Adams horns (or, at least, like the idea of it) is the adjustable mouthpiece receiver. I plan to re-evaluate my mouthpiece (currently play on an SM4U, gold-plated) when I get a new horn...and I know that different mouthpieces will sit differently in the receiver. So, being able to adjust for the different mouthpieces (AND my personal preference) is a big selling point. I also don't want a trigger...so intonation is a selling point too (and, looking at Dave's testing...the E3 is tops in this category (knowing full well this can vary widely based on individual player)).
    Last edited by iMav; 10-03-2022 at 07:58 AM.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

I've heard others elude to the non-sterling bell Adams euphoniums sounding dull. Given the high Adams praise here, I assume most disagree? (now I am weighing the significant monetary ramifications of going with a custom E3 over the Select model... )
    I'm not sure why people say the brass bells sound dull. Gary Curtin (shown in the image attached) chose to play an E2 in brass (antique finish) and sounds quite nice.

Also, I very nearly switched to a .70 brass E3 with gold satin lacquer, and that horn sounded quite close to the sterling silver bell version I own. Here is an A/B audio comparison that I made to help me decide:

https://youtu.be/DlM1lC6moKw

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gary Curtin.jpg  
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast