Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

I consider myself the quintessential “non-traditional” euphonium student.

I began instruction on a Cool Wind euphonium in June 2019, took lessons with a great teacher, and practiced with no teacher contact an hour a day, every day until a somewhat normal schedule was resumed in 2022. Now back to lessons.

Since the CoolWind I’ve played a Conn Connstellation, an older uncompensating Willson, and a newer uncompensating (updated) Willson. I’ve also played a compensating euphonium along the way. I’ve learned plenty from each instrument and been lucky to get each of them.

So I’m almost 80, moderate arthritis in fingers, otherwise very healthy, good-excellent sight reader, holding my own in a group playing grade 3-4-5 grade level wind ensemble repertoire. My ability to play in tune embarrasses me. A lot.

Yesterday in a lesson I was told that my intonation issues are probably related to the instrument I play.

I’d researched the 4 valve Adams Sonic prior to the last few weeks, and seeing the Adams Sonic 5 valve, quickly realized that it was likely to be my best bet.

The problem? The “6 to 8 month” wait for delivery. I can get a 4 valve Sonic within the next few weeks. Seriously, what would you do?

You seem to have come a long way since you responded to my post about refurbishing my Conn Constellation 24i/25i. I kept on buying more horns (Besson 2025 Prestige and Adam E3) along with various trombones, bass trumpet and Tubas (which i cannot play yet). I keep reading all the posts about other horns but realize that any can sound good, and it was time to stop buying more horns. I settled on the Adam E3 because it is easier for me to play in tune. Buying new horns for me was more of an obsession. I am 75 and i realize I am not going to play professionally at my age. There are too many people out there who have played for the last 50 years during my hiatus and too many young people with great skills. To me, i bought horns because i could afford them, not because i needed them or that they would help me play better.

I have rushed to buy horms only to reqret it afterwards. Patience is said to be a virtue. If you believe a 5 valve is a solution to your problem, why not wait?

The 5-valve version is a specialty instrument. A normal 4-valve Sonic might work very well for you. The 2 "holes" in its performance are the ability to play concert Eb below the bass clef staff and the B natural below that in tune. Otherwise, the Sonic is a nice, lightweight euphonium based on a professional model (E1).

The drawback of getting the 5th valve is that it adds weight to the Sonic. But if you need those low notes, you either need a compensating instrument or the 5th valve.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

PS. I was curious that if your instructor thought a problem might be your horn, did the instructor not have a horn you could try to compare during a lesson. Of course, the instructor may not have been a Euphonium player so did not have one.

Quote Originally Posted by ann reid View Post
    My ability to play in tune embarrasses me. A lot.
    Just curious. Are you able to hear that you are not playing in tune?
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

Perfect pitch can be a curse...

Quote Originally Posted by highpitch View Post
    Perfect pitch can be a curse...
    Well, there certainly is a canyon of variance between perfect pitch and having an ear for sound intonation.
    Groups
    Valley City Community Band
    Valley City State University Concert Band
    2024 North Dakota Intercollegiate Band (you're never too old!)

Larry Herzog Jr.

All things EUPHONIUM! Guilded server

I don’t have perfect pitch but it’s fairly close, but it is something I have worked on. Having an Adams Euphonium in a section of Bessons has only highlighted how many notes are sour. I’m running out of polite ways of suggesting it’s them and not me….. having said that it’s never black and white so it’s not just you, there will be a variety of factors at work. For example every recording of orchestral & wind ensembles I have ever heard has intonation issues surrounding woodwind. I frequently hear violin soloists play under the pitch. My MDs regard the issues that make me wince much less seriously than I do so perhaps I’m fixating, wrongly, on it.

I donÂ’t have perfect pitch but itÂ’s fairly close, but it is something I have worked on. Having an Adams Euphonium in a section of Bessons has only highlighted how many notes are sour. IÂ’m running out of polite ways of suggesting itÂ’s them and not meÂ….. having said that itÂ’s never black and white so itÂ’s not just you, there will be a variety of factors at work. For example every recording of orchestral & wind ensembles I have ever heard has intonation issues surrounding woodwind. I frequently hear violin soloists play under the pitch. My MDs regard the issues that make me wince much less seriously than I do so perhaps IÂ’m fixating, wrongly, on it.

10. HornGuys has a new 4-valve Sonic right now for $4158.

As Dave noted, the 5-valve IS a specialty instrument, and it's capabilities, while unique, are not necessarily the be-all end-all of euphoniums.

The 4-valve Sonic is a tremendous instrument, and with the exception of the low C and B-natural above pedal, is all the euphonium anyone (even at my level) would need.

What would I do?

1) Get the 4-valve Sonic...
    2) Keep an eye out for a used Adams E-1 (I've seen the $5500 range)...
    3) Find a nice used Besson 967-GS (small bell)?...
    4) See if there are any first-generation Yamaha 642s out there...
    5) Wait for the 5-valve...

Depends how patient you are.

The 4-valve Sonic would absolutely be the highest quality lightweight option.
    Last edited by Matt Summers; 02-16-2023 at 11:12 AM. Reason: grammar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast