Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question to the long-time Wessex owners

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJimmy View Post
    ...so I thought I was asking for advice, not trying to sell it.

LittleJimmy
    That's how I took it. Unfortunately, I don't have much to base an opinion on! They are cool for at one use, and possible others, but I assume you want to get a sense of a good asking price. No clue! Others might have a better idea on that.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJimmy View Post
    There is. I've tried it before with no luck, so I thought I was asking for advice, not trying to sell it.
    Have you tried Facebook marketplace and/or Craigslist? Local music store consignment?

3. Thanks iMav. I've not yet tried Facebook marketplace but a friend suggested I should try it. I'll probably take it to a music store for consignment if Facebook doesn't work.

LittleJimmy

Remind us....

Little Jimmy, Would you repost the link to your Maly? Please and thank you (smile). - Sara
    Last edited by Sara Hood; 10-10-2022 at 12:56 PM.
    Baritone - 3 Valve, Compensating, JinBao JBBR1240

5. Sara

Did you get my reply? I'm asking $1000 plus shipping.

Little Jimmy

Thank you. I saw the repost. - Sara

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Charmer View Post
    For all of you playing any Wessex horn for a bit longer...
    I have had the Wessex French C tuba for a year and so far no problems encountered. Excellent finish, exceptional smoothness of the valves and, contrary to what I imagined, very good ergonomics. Very happy with the purchase!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221012_112054.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	9401
    Last edited by franz; 10-12-2022 at 04:23 AM.
    2007 Besson Prestige 2052, 3D+ K&G mouthpiece; JP373 baritone, 4B modified K&G mouthpiece; Bach 42GO trombone, T4C K&G mouthpiece; 1973 Besson New Standard 3 compensated valves, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece; Wessex French C tuba, 3D+ K&G modified mouthpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Charmer View Post
    For all of you playing any Wessex horn for a bit longer: Do you have some similar experiences or do I have some black magic in my studio?
    I own a five year old JinBao baritone (nickle-silver finish). While not a Wessex horn per se, I thought that it might be relevant to your question since JinBao manufactures Wessex horns.

In five years I have had zero problems with soldering failing, pin holes, or other issues with the horn's bracing. The only issue I have had is that in places that get a lot of contact, the finish is no longer shiny. The pretty reflective stuff has rubbed off and gone kind of cloudy grey. But then, maybe my horn is a couple years younger than the ones you are dealing with, and so the experience is not as relevant as we would hope. Your call.

- Sara

I’m always very cautious about addressing this kind of topic, but I bought what may have been a very early second hand Festivo just before the pandemic, and I would have to say that unfortunately I seem to have a case of “problem with no solution”.

I’ve made every effort I could to get this instrument into playable shape, used two local very good repair people, put a lot of money into it, and the problems continue. Wessex did what it could for a second hand instrument, when the problems first arose, but all things (including the pandemic) considered, I still have an instrument that I can’t count on, and no one seems to be able to figure out why.

On the plus side, it has very nice tone, the finish is fine, and the valves are OK when they’re working, but the first valve, after three separate repairs, continues to be problematic.

I took it for my lesson last week, and it was once again unplayable. I then took it to a local very reliable repair shop and it was set back to functional shape, and yesterday, the first valve again failed to function.

As a beginner, I just can’t deal with this lack of consistent reliability. I’m reading over the group reviews for the ACB Doubler and the Wessex Sinfonico, and I can get pretty enthused about both, but wary of making another mistake.

I'm out of the trumpet world and there are a half dozen repair techs who really know the answer to these types of questions. Are there people like this in the euphonium world? Someone who has seen hundreds of euphoniums come through a shop? Can most repair techs get a replacement valve from jinbao? Are the festivo valves interchangeable with regular valves? What tends to be the problem (excess wear? damaged casing? overly tight? poor lapping initially?)? I have a 2019 Mack Brass and have really liked it, but I also haven't put much time on it. I was also curious if it would be hard to repair in the future.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast