Thread: Step-Up Instruments

1. Step-Up Instruments

I am currently in middle school band, about to go into high school. I have been wondering what good step-up instrument would be from a Yamaha 321. It plays very nicely, and is perfectly suited for what I am playing currently. I just want to know what are some good options so I can start saving up some money before the time comes. I hear that Wessex and Adams are very nice.

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    What is your budget or what are you willing to spend once you have saved up some money?

If you are in the $3K price range, the Wessex Sinfonico and the ACB Doubler would be good candidates. You get a 4 valve (3+1 configuration) compensating horn which in itself is a step up from the 321. With the compensating horn you gain better intonation, plus most find the 3+1 configuration easier to play than 4 inline valves. These two horns I would classify as mid-level horns. The top-level horns are going to be $6k to $9K or more. Brands like Yamaha (Neo and 842), Besson, Adams, Willson, Shires (new to the scene), Miraphone to name most of them. If you have some long-term ambitions, then these top-level horns are worth looking at. And you can also look for top level horns that are used for significantly less money, but you have to be careful with used horns and try to make sure you know what you are getting.

If you are going very inexpensive, then the Wessex Dolce fits in the under $2K bracket, and it is a pretty good 4 valve (3+1) compensating horn. There are a couple or more others in this range.

If I had to pick a horn based on what little information you have provided, I would go with the Wessex Sinfonico or ACB (Austin Custom Brass in Kansas City) Doubler.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

3. Thanks for your information. I had my eyes on the Sinfonico because of the unique copper accents and the relative price to other instruments. Is there any way to add a trigger system to it so it would have a chance in a college setting? Im looking to keep it for as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by finn_ian4789 View Post
    Thanks for your information. I had my eyes on the Sinfonico because of the unique copper accents and the relative price to other instruments. Is there any way to add a trigger system to it so it would have a chance in a college setting? Im looking to keep it for as long as possible.
    I don't think there is a trigger option, and I don't know if there is or will be an aftermarket trigger that you could get. That said, it IS NOT imperative at all for you to have a trigger on a horn to make it in a college setting. Granted that triggers are now offered or standard on many top level horns, but some elect to not have a trigger because they are comfortable with the horn the way it is (Adams, for example not really needing a trigger because of its excellent intonation). I have a trigger on my Adams and rarely use it at all. I could make do fine without it.

So, I truly think that having a horn with a trigger is not a requirement in any college setting. Unless, that is, you buy a horn that is so grossly out of tune that you HAVE to have a trigger to have a chance of getting it in tune.

Are you in a place where you can go to any major conventions? That is a great way to test for yourself many of the major brands, Wessex usually included.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only:

And I forgot. WELCOME to the Forum!! Happy to have you aboard.
    John Morgan
    Summer Only: