Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some brands I am considering…

Hey I was just watching one of your videos John! You sound great on the E3.

Where did you buy yours? I was thinking of buying through ACB if I go with the E3 as they have a fairly comprehensive customization menu on their website (although I’d probably order in the phone anyways).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The Adams E3 keeps garnering more and more positive recommendations…

What would be the main difference between the yellow brass, gold brass, and sterling silver bells?

(And for those that own E3s, what do you have?)
    Last edited by iMav; 09-28-2022 at 11:37 PM. Reason: I’m typo

John

is there a uTube recording of that superman piece? I would like to hear it.

I like my Adams E3 and still have to decide what to do with my 3 year old Besson Prestige 2052 (along with other horns that i should not have bought)! I got the Adam E3 because Dave's charts showed it to be more in tune. Being away from playing a horn for 50+ years, that Adam E3 makes it easier to play in tune than working the trigger on the Besson. An old mind gets confused between the 4th valve and trigger!!!

Rich G

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    Hey I was just watching one of your videos John! You sound great on the E3.

Where did you buy yours? I was thinking of buying through ACB if I go with the E3 as they have a fairly comprehensive customization menu on their website (although I’d probably order in the phone anyways).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The Adams E3 keeps garnering more and more positive recommendations…
    Thanks for the kind words.

Well, I got mine through Taylor Music in Aberdeen, SD, almost in your neck of the woods. I don't know that ACB had started selling Adams when I got mine, but they could have. I also think they were back on the east coast at the time, not in KC like they are now. I worked directly with the owner of Taylor Music, Stan Kolb, to get my Adams. I also was in communication with Miel Adams before the order and during the build. Adams sent me some pictures of the horn as it was being built. It went well. I had bought my Miraphone M5050 through Taylor Music as they are a huge Miraphone tuba retailer. So, it only seemed natural to go back to them for the Adams, as they were at the time one of a few Adams retailers in the U.S.

I didn't get any particularly "good deal" through Taylor as I don't think the Adams horns are discounted much if any. But Adams treats you right, no doubt. And I like Taylor Music. But you would also do well with ACB, they are a very good Adams dealer.

Good luck in any event. Getting a new euphonium is so much fun. I miss the thrill, but my Adams is so good that I can't possibly envision getting another euphonium unless it is a collector's type horn.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

Summerfield, Florida Sturgis, SD (summers)
    Quote Originally Posted by iMav View Post
    What would be the main difference between the yellow brass, gold brass, and sterling silver bells?

(And for those that own E3s, what do you have?)
    Go here then Download the Build Your Own document: https://www.adams-music.com/en/support/adams_brass

It will talk about differences in bell material. I think it is in the trumpet section of their catalogue, but still relevant.

My horn has the Sterling Silver Bell, fully engraved and beautiful. I also recently added a sterling silver leadpipe. I like it.
    John Morgan
    The U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) 1971-1976
    Adams E3 Custom Series Euphonium, 1956 B&H Imperial Euphonium,
    1973 F. E. Olds & Son Studio Model T-31 Baritone
    Adams TB1 Tenor Trombone, Yamaha YBL-822G Bass Trombone
    Year Round Except Summer:
    Kingdom of the Sun (KOS) Concert Band, Ocala, FL (Euphonium)
    KOS Brass Quintet (Trombone, Euphonium)
    Summer Only:
    Rapid City Municipal Band, Rapid City, SD (Euphonium)
    Rapid City New Horizons Band (Euphonium)

I cannot recommend Austin Custom Brass enough. Trent and Josh are responsive and definitely have the ear of Miel Adams; any time I had an issue, they were quickly able to get it addressed.

There’s a reason I’ve bought 3 E3’s from them in the last 5 years.

You can call them or email And get options that aren’t necessarily on the web customization tool. (Like a .70 Yellow Brass E3).

10/10 would buy from them again.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

I may end up getting the preconfigured “select” E3 horn (yellow brass, silver plate)…as there is an online retailer selling them for sub-$6k (verified and reverified with them!).

Assuming it’s the German retailer I’m aware of, make sure you account for taxes/customs fees.
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

Quote Originally Posted by miketeachesclass View Post
    Assuming it’s the German retailer I’m aware of, make sure you account for taxes/customs fees.
    Yeah, I am waiting to hear back regarding what other taxes and fees I’ll be responsible for…that will determine my buying course of action.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12