Thread: Oklahoma State University

1. Oklahoma State University

Hello! I am currently looking into a bunch of different schools to go into music performance on euphonium. A friend of mine that goes to Oklahoma State University said that they have a really good Tuba-Euphonium studio. Does anyone think this school may be a good option for a performance major?

Thank you!
    FR

2. I actually go to the University of Oklahoma down in Norman, OSU is a very good music school. I think the only complaint I hear is that even as a performance major you have to be apart of their marching band for 2 years. The best thing to do though is reach out to the professors and talk to them! Try to get a lesson if possible to see if they’d be someone you’d like to work with.
    Adams E1 Gold Brass Bell and SS Leadpipe
    Undergrad at Angelo State
    Future TA at University of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by frivoling_euph View Post
    Hello! I am currently looking into a bunch of different schools to go into music performance on euphonium. A friend of mine that goes to Oklahoma State University said that they have a really good Tuba-Euphonium studio. Does anyone think this school may be a good option for a performance major?

Thank you!
    FR
    The only thing is, Ryan Robinson (the professor at osu) is a tuba player, and while tuba players can and have taught amazing euphonium players, it’s always better ( in my opinion) to have a euphonium professor. If you’re in the area you might look into UCA with Dr Gail Robertson, it would be an AMAZING performance school and wouldn’t hurt to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Xfoontes View Post
    The only thing is, Ryan Robinson (the professor at osu) is a tuba player, and while tuba players can and have taught amazing euphonium players, it’s always better ( in my opinion) to have a euphonium professor. If you’re in the area you might look into UCA with Dr Gail Robertson, it would be an AMAZING performance school and wouldn’t hurt to try.
    That's an important point to consider. If you are already a really good euphoniumist, an outstanding tuba teacher might do the trick. Dan Perantoni comes to mind as an example. But tuba concept is different from euphonium.

Another important consideration is band experience. Euphonium players need to be good at playing in bands! See what opportunities a school offers for performing in bands.

I know Gail Robertson and she is terrific! I can't speak for the overall program because I don't know a lot about it. However, I'm going to perform there (not with the band) in November, so perhaps I can glean more at that time.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium