Thread: Besson Valve Rejuvenation

Besson Valve Rejuvenation

I have a Besson euphonium that I first bought in 1970. It’s a wonderful horn but the valves have become unresponsive and noisy. Any suggestions on where I can send it to bring them back to playable form? I live in SC. If I were to buy a new euphonium, I’m also interested to hear suggestions as to comparable (or improved) horns. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

Once your horn is fixed up, you might like it so much you would not feel like buying one. The older Bessons can be very nice. Noisy valves can be fixed with some Mead springs and the installation of plastic valve guides. A good repair shop can to the latter.

I'd suggest this shop:

thevillagetinker.com

Dan can do amazing work. I can't think of a shop close enough to you that a drive would be practical.

If you get the horn back and still want to consider an upgrade, the new crop of professional-level horns run from roughly $5k-10k. Very nice used pro horns can be found for $2500 to $4000 if you are patient.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thank you, David. I’m waiting to receive some Mead springs that I ordered last week! My first call tomorrow will be to the Village Tinker.

Doug, I think you will like the Mead springs on your horn. When I got a 1976 New Standard last year I put in standard Mead springs and replaced the felts and it made a huge difference for me. Somewhere there is a thread about valve felts that I reference often. I'll try to post a link to it when I have a minute to find it to help you source some of you need them.

http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...s#.Yx_h_lNOlEE

Post #2 in that thread should point you towards new felts if you are interested. I originally bought those for my Schiller, then when I got my New Standard I took the felts from the Schiller and put them on the Besson, and they worked just fine.

Ultimately I may replace my metal guides with plastic ones as Dave mentioned, but the difference with just new springs and felts was enough that I am happy for now.

Good luck getting your horn fixed up!

Thank you aroberts781.

Quote Originally Posted by aroberts781 View Post
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...s#.Yx_h_lNOlEE

Post #2 in that thread should point you towards new felts if you are interested. I originally bought those for my Schiller, then when I got my New Standard I took the felts from the Schiller and put them on the Besson, and they worked just fine.

Ultimately I may replace my metal guides with plastic ones as Dave mentioned, but the difference with just new springs and felts was enough that I am happy for now.

Good luck getting your horn fixed up!

I just received my Mead springs and felts. My fifty-year old Besson is now unbelievable! The valve action may never have been as good as it is now. Thanks!

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that your valves are working better!