X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomPowell
    • Sep 2022

Unwanted Raspy Tone - Request For Help

An unwanted intermittent raspy tone has developed in my playing. I used to practice/ perform for hours every day, now I practice about 30 -60 minutes a day, but lately a raspy sound appears and then disappears without warning. Anyone have any experience with this, or have any suggestions on how to avoid this? Thanks in advance for your help!
  • davewerden
    Administrator
    • Nov 2005

Welcome to the forum!

This raspy tone... Is it unpitched? (Some people have an "octave buzz" that adds a lower octave.)

Because you said "raspy" I assume it is a sound much different from "fuzz" that some of us have struggled with???

Is it more likely to appear in a particular range (low, mid, high) or at a particular volume?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• JTJ
      • Nov 2005

It sounds like a double buzz. I had one during a period when I was playing a great deal and my embouchure needed more rest than I was giving it. It cleared up when I started putting in rest days when I stayed off the horn. If you look up double buzz you'll find a lot on the web about it (most of it from trumpet players).

Comment

• Pat
        • Dec 2008

"Fuzz" sounds about right. I've been noticing it as well, but I have been pushing practice hard lately as I try to get myself back into shape. I'll try the "day off" and see if that helps.
        Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Comment

• TomPowell
          • Sep 2022

Originally posted by davewerden View Post
          Welcome to the forum!

This raspy tone... Is it unpitched? (Some people have an "octave buzz" that adds a lower octave.)

Because you said "raspy" I assume it is a sound much different from "fuzz" that some of us have struggled with???

Is it more likely to appear in a particular range (low, mid, high) or at a particular volume?

This unwanted tone, I don't think i can differentiate it from "fuzz," so for now let's call it fuzz. It seems to appear in the mid range, at around forte volume. And it does seem to be unpitched. Thank you for hosting this forum and thank you for allowing so many of us a place to ask/answer questions. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I wanted to experiment so all my answers are accurate.

Comment

Working...
          X