Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: high note practice

are you doing lessons online or in person. I tried online but found it not as beneficial as I needed. I am an in-person type of student. Unfortunately, around here I cannot find anyone skilled enough on the Euphonium to provide me with a good lesson plan. I work on Arban every day (including intervals). I probably spend up to 2 hours a day on the Euphonium and 1 hour on the trombone (sometimes only 2 hours total depending upon how busy I am). There is a good concert band in Orlando, but they are not auditioning. I do play with a VFW band (bass trombone) and a new concert band is starting close to here and I am playing the Euphonium with them and a tenor trombone with their jazz band). I really would like someone to provide me direction on both instruments. I have met people good on the trombone, but they are just too busy with commitments they already have. I have not found anyone locally for the Euphonium.

I did have a trumpet(s) that I was going to sell. I wonder if it would help to keep one and play it some each day to develop high notes. I am going to use a tuba to develop low notes!

Quote Originally Posted by rgorscak View Post
    are you doing lessons online or in person. I tried online but found it not as beneficial as I needed. I am an in-person type of student. Unfortunately, around here I cannot find anyone skilled enough on the Euphonium to provide me with a good lesson plan. I work on Arban every day (including intervals). I probably spend up to 2 hours a day on the Euphonium and 1 hour on the trombone (sometimes only 2 hours total depending upon how busy I am). There is a good concert band in Orlando, but they are not auditioning. I do play with a VFW band (bass trombone) and a new concert band is starting close to here and I am playing the Euphonium with them and a tenor trombone with their jazz band). I really would like someone to provide me direction on both instruments. I have met people good on the trombone, but they are just too busy with commitments they already have. I have not found anyone locally for the Euphonium.

I did have a trumpet(s) that I was going to sell. I wonder if it would help to keep one and play it some each day to develop high notes. I am going to use a tuba to develop low notes!
    My lesson was in person with my soon-to-be euphonium instructor (College professor). I've never tried online lessons... never had any lessons on the euphonium at all, to be quite honest. Band in HS and college (as a non-music major) was pretty much a "here, good luck" sort of situation. My high range is improving over the past few weeks, and I think I'll credit much of that to my euphonium mouthpiece buzzing work. I now have a solid high concert Bb and have been flirting with C.
    Sterling Virtuoso Euphonium, Denis Wick 4AL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12