Thread: How to get a cleaning snake's brush out of a mouthpiece reciever

1. How to get a cleaning snake's brush out of a mouthpiece reciever

Today I was cleaning my euphonium
    , and for some stupid reason I used a cleaning snake to clean my mouthpiece reciever. The brush fell off, and now it's stuck. What should I do? (I reposted this here because it make more sense)

I just replied to your other thread in 'misc'. If you have a pair of hemostats or forceps, which are very narrow long nose pliers of sort, could you reach the broken off bursh?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	index.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	9299

If not I would take out your 1st valve and carefully push the brush through into the empty valve casing with a long piece of stiff nylon like a cable tie.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cable tie.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	9300
    I just hope there's no metal in that brush that could scratch the valve casing.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

My first question is...WHERE is it stuck exactly? Is it "halfway" through the leadpipe? Or could it be stuck in the first valve or beyond?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

4. It's around halfway through the lead pipe, Also thanks for the nilon cable tie idea

Take out the 1st valve before doing anything else, and remove the top and bottom caps from the first valve.

Try putting a good amount of liquid dish soap down the mouthpiece end of the pipe, then put your mouthpiece in a blow hard and suddenly. The soap will help lubricate the brush's movement and may help create an air seal to some extent so your blowing can do some good.

If that does not work, can you find some plastic tubing that will fit in the mouthpiece end? You might be able to push it out with that. Still use the soap to lubricate it movement.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Home Depot sells inexpensive 3/8" OD tubing (both vinyl & polyethylene) in the plumbing department (for hooking up refrigerator ice maker lines & etc.,). I use the clear vinyl version to make tuba bell liners so I can rest my horns on their bells without scraping them up.
    I just checked, and it slides right into my euphonium (large shank) mouthpipe. It's stiff and would easily shove the brush out.