Sponsor Banner

Collapse

Recommendations for Lightweight, tall and narrow brands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ann reid
    • Jan 2019

Recommendations for Lightweight, tall and narrow brands?

I thought I’d never be able to play a compensating euphonium, but I happened to play a rather heavy one a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually liked some aspects of playing it.

Are there any euphonium brands that are typically lighter in weight, more narrow, and taller than others?

I have arthritis in my fingers and wrists, and light weight, narrow and tall works best for me.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?
  • 58mark
    • Feb 2013

if you want a lightweight instrument with a professional sound, what about a 3 valve compensating besson?

They are SO light. I have one here that I am considering parting with, but it's at the shop right now getting cleaned up and a a few dents removed.

Comment

• davewerden
      Administrator
      • Nov 2005

Well, most compensating horns are heavy for good reason - all the extra tubing involved and the longer pistons. Among those, the lightest option would be the Adams E1. The selected model is cheapest and comes in .60 thickness (thinner than most). Because the metal makes up a LOT of square inches, thinner metal can make a difference. If you want to go to a Custom model, which is a bit more money, you would get one in .55 metal (I would not advise going to the .50, and I'm not sure if they still even offer that one). The Selected model is around $7500 so...

If you don't actually need or care about the compensating system itself, but want the 3+1 design, the Adams Sonic is around $4400, and would be lighter than the E1.
      Dave Werden (ASCAP)
      Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
      Adams Artist (Adams E3)
      Alliance Mouthpiece DC3, Wick 4AL, Wick 4ABL
      YouTube: dwerden
      Facebook: davewerden
      Twitter: davewerden
      Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Comment

• Shinn
        • Feb 2020

Simply as a reference, here are a couple pictures of a Besson 3-valve compensating euphonium (Model 176) along with associated catalogue sheets with descriptions.
        Attached Files
        David Shinn
        Peninsula Concert Band
        Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
        1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
        1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
        1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
        Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

• guidocorona
          • Jun 2018

Hello Ann, the non-comp Adams Sonic non-comp sounds to me a very impressive horn in this substantive demonstration by Mauro Martins:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6ZTtmEGl492H9k

If you give a buzz to Austin Custom Brass, Trent and his crowd should be able to dredge up actual weight and dimentions for you.

Regards, Guido
          M5050L - DC2&3, SM2&4U, BT16, Carbonaria Heavy & New
          Wessex EP104 Festivo - available
          Carolbrass CCR7772 Bb cornet - Available

Comment

• aroberts781
            • Sep 2014

Ann,
            Some have suggested a three valve compensating Besson for having a great sound and being lightweight. I really like mine and it is lightweight. A couple things that I think you should consider if you were interested in that horn is I don't really think it is very tall. More significantly, there is no hand bar behind the valves for your right hand, just a curved brace between the first valve and the inner branch/tubing. Those ergonomics took a little while for me to get used to and I wonder if it would be difficult with arthritis.
            I'm happy to take some photos/measurements to share if you are interested.
            1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
            1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

• bayoung36
              • Feb 2022

I’ll agree with Dave on the Adam E1’s weight. I had to switch to something lighter after playing on an older Yamaha 642S. It was painful to play standing up due to the weight and strain on my back! The Adam’s is incredibly light, you almost don’t notice it when holding it.
              Adams E1 Gold Brass Bell and SS Leadpipe
              Undergrad at Angelo State
              Future TA at University of Oklahoma

Comment

• 58mark
                • Feb 2013

I'm 6 foot 8, so height should be a major concern to me, but with Euphonium, I just build a lap pad out of foam to fit the contours of my leg, and then set the horn on that. Weight doesn't matter, height doesn't matter

Comment

• aroberts781
                  • Sep 2014

That's a good point 58mark. I've tried small pillows and rolled up towels in the past but for some reason I've never found a setup that I like. Admittedly I haven't tried very hard so maybe I'll revisit it. I'm currently using a Comfy Euph Strap with my 3 valve New Standard which works fairly well.
                  1976 Besson 3-valve New Standard, DE102/I/I8
                  1969 Conn 88H, Schilke 51

Comment

• Snake Charmer
                    • Sep 2020

Playing the French C Tuba and Bb Saxhorn Basse I use the Ergobrass system. With the 3+3 or 3+2 valves there are no fingers left to hold the horn (and they are all quite heavy!).
                    With the Ergobrass stem (www.ergobrass.com) the horn is floating weightless in front of you with more freedom to move than with a knee pillow. And using a belt pocket you can play while standing.

Comment

• Shawn
                      • May 2020

Anyone know off which 3-valve bessons are compensationg models?
                      176 mentioned above.
                      Others?

Thanks.

Comment

• tjjc
                        • Apr 2008

Besson also produced a 3-valve compensator marked as a model 766. There is one on eBay right now, located in Switzerland I believe:

Euphonium in Bb, BESSON, 700 SERIES BE766-2-0, Student-Serie, versilbert | eBay

Willson also made 3-valve compensators, but apparently these are much harder to come by.

I owned a Besson 3-valve compensating adjustable-bell horn for several years and can attest to all of the pros and cons that others have posted. Intonation was also very good, noticeably better than Besson 4-valve compensating horns that I've played.

Comment

• Shinn
                          • Feb 2020

In addition to the Besson Model 766 referenced/linked above, there are currently three Besson ‘New Standard’ 3-valve compensating euphoniums listed on eBay - two have lacquer finishes, one has a silver finish, and all are in varying conditions.

If the horn is pre-1974, it came with a euro mouthpiece receiver. And if after 1974, it came with a large mouthpiece receiver (typical of today’s horns). Here is a serial number / cross-reference.

http://www.dwerden.com/Special/bandh_handlists_web.pdf

There are of course Boosey/Hawkes 3-valve compensating euphoniums as well.
                          Last edited by Shinn; 08-17-2022, 10:05 AM.
                          David Shinn
                          Peninsula Concert Band
                          Yorktown, Virginia

1971 Besson 181 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3+1 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                          1971 Besson 176 ‘New Standard’ Euphonium (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC3M
                          1979 Besson 755 'New Standard' Baritone (3 compensating) ~ Alliance DC5S
                          1894 Besson ‘Doublophone’ Euphonium (3 + 1 changeover) & Original Leather Case

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/davidshinn....ibextid=LQQJ4d
                          Peninsula Concert Band: https://www.peninsulaconcertband.org/

Comment

• Shawn
                            • May 2020

thanks very much!

Comment

• MichaelSchott
                              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by aroberts781 View Post
                              That's a good point 58mark. I've tried small pillows and rolled up towels in the past but for some reason I've never found a setup that I like. Admittedly I haven't tried very hard so maybe I'll revisit it. I'm currently using a Comfy Euph Strap with my 3 valve New Standard which works fairly well.
                              The Quick Horn Rinse Lap Pad is the best I’ve found. It has a grippy surface and the height is adjustable.

Comment

Working...
                              X