Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adam E3 valve

Adam E3 valve

Today i was putting Meade springs into my new Adam E3. I dropped the second valve onto the floor while doing it. Now i can near compression when pushing done that valve compared to the others. There is no obvious damage, but it might be small. The valve moves okay, but i sense there is more resistance coming up.

Any suggestions who might be knowledgeable in determining if i damaged it? Maybe it is my imagination because at times the same value is slow in coming up and i have to clean it every two days or so. I hate to have messed up a new horn after 2 weeks. I had my 2052 for 4 years with no damage! But then again, i am 4 yours older!

Oh, that's not good! But it is fortunate that you have stainless steel valves - they are hard to hurt.

Is it possible it landed on the valve guide? It's possible to warp the plastic, although it would have to land just right to do that.

Did it feel different when you inserted the piston right after dropping it? If not, you may be fine.

Is it possible it could have picked up grit from the floor, or could have scraped the floor (which might leave some residue on the piston).

Is the casing perfectly clean? If there is any doubt, swab it out carefully, clean the valve guide slot, and then clean the whole piston and see what happens.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

Thanks Dave,

It went in OK. I can just hear slightly more compression when i depress that valve over the others. But I practiced for 2 hours without any issues. I have marble floors so i worry about that
    I will see how it goes over the next few days.
    Last edited by rgorscak; 08-14-2022 at 04:49 PM.

Can you describe what you mean by hearing more compression?
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

Air sound when valve goes up or down like I have heard in past width a new horn. When pushing down or releasing it sounds like air is holding back the valve. I have had this with other new horns in the past. I really do not have the vocabulary to describe it. Maybe like a vacuum holding on release and air leaking when depressing valve. I need to see what happens over next few days. As I said , I have had valves sometimes be sluggish on release, and it has been the second and fourth valve. I have also had that happen with a trumpet. Makes me think I push crooked with my middle finger (and I really only use it for playing a horn). If I think something is wrong, I will ask my local repair shop that is experienced. Maybe I am over reacting to dropping it

maybe the sound is like pumping air into a tire, but very soft! Both for valve going up and down. I have had that on my Besson 4th valve when it was new and i seldom used it (never had a 4th valve horn as a kid). My horn serviceman said it was probably because i hardly used it. After using it a lot more, the sound seemed to go away

There’s a vent hole in the bottom of each valve up through the middle to the top of the valve so air won’t be trapped and the valve can move freely. I had a partially blocked vent hole on the top of my third valve of my Yamaha 641 that caused a slight ‘whistle’ sound. To correct that I trimmed the plastic valve guide some. I don’t think dropping the valve could block that vent though.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

Thanks everyone. If it seems a problem, i will follow up locally.

One other thing to try is to make sure it is not a spring noise. Because you had the piston out, it is common to have the spring seat crookedly when you reinsert it. You could also try swapping the springs for 1 & 2.
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)

that valve is slightly sluggish compared to the others, going up and down. I put the Meade light spring labeled 4 into the 4th valve and the rest into the other valves (they were not labeled). I just have to wait until i can get someone to look at it. to me, the noise is air

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast