Thread: Poor Quality prints from large publishers (Carl Fischer in this case)

Poor Quality prints from large publishers (Carl Fischer in this case)

I bought a copy of Beautiful Colorado, which arrived today.

I have to say, the print quality of it is just atrocious - one example of that is attached.

I cannot understand how modern publishers can get away with print quality like this. It was obviously computer printed at one point, given the stepped chunks of hairpins throughout, but... somehow it looks like it was done on the world's most out of repair printing press.

I realize I'm ranting, but it just seems ridiculous to me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	9261
    Mike Taylor

Illinois Brass Band
    Fox Valley Brass Band

It bugs me, too. A couple things I bought lately have been obvious photo copies (or something similar) of older publications. The output is too "thick" and is hard to read. These seem to be made from older typeset originals.

In the case you mention, the stair-step look would seem to indicate it was from a computer at some point. Perhaps the original computer files are lost or simply not from a program that is still being supported. I'm not crazy about either of those theories, but I'm trying to find a logical reason for it!
    Dave Werden (ASCAP)
    Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
    Adams Artist (Adams E3)
    Alliance Mouthpiece (DC3)
    YouTube: dwerden
    Facebook: davewerden
    Twitter: davewerden
    Instagram: davewerdeneuphonium

That does look pretty bad. Unfortunately you can never return music but maybe if you complained to Carl Fischer they might send you a better copy. Might be worth a try.
    Rick Floyd
    Miraphone 5050 - Warburton BJ / RF mpc
    YEP-641S (recently sold)
    Doug Elliott - 102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank

"Always play with a good tone, never louder than lovely, never softer than supported." - author unknown.
    Symphonic Band of the Palm Beaches
    El Cumbanchero (Raphael Hernandez, arr. Naohiro Iwai)
    Chorale and Shaker Dance
    (John Zdechlik)

As someone who is paid to typeset music using Finale (96%) and Sibelius (4%), I am constantly surprised by the low quality of published sheet music--egregious note errors, execrable note spacing, misspelled notes, incorrectly formed rhythms, colliding objects, etc.

Mike, it's not a rant--your beef is 100% legitimate!

The more typesetting I do, the more I realize how important a good presentation on the page is to a good musical performance, especially when there is limited (or no) rehearsal time.
    It seems to me that the worst offenders come from the UK, but US houses turn out their share of dreck as well.

The problem in the photo seems to reflect a problem of multi-generations of xeroxing. I didn't see any hairpins, so can't comment on the jaggies. I have a 1970s version of BC; I'll trot it out to see what it looks like. A lot of music of that era was produced using Notaset, a set of transfer decals that the copyist would rub onto a page.

If youze ain't got nuttin' betta to do, have a look at www.musicprintinghistory.org and look at the Henle Verlag's YT video on plate engraving.
    Last edited by Snorlax; 08-10-2022 at 01:15 AM.
    Jim Williams N9EJR (love 10 meter CW)
    Formerly Principal Euphonium in a whole
    bunch of groups, now just a schlub.
    Shires Q41, Yamaha 321, 621 Baritone
    Wick 4AL, Wessex 4Y, or whatever I grab.
    Conn 50H trombone, Blue P-bone
    www.soundcloud.com/jweuph

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    . . . The more typesetting I do, the more I realize how important a good presentation on the page is to a good musical performance, especially when there is limited (or no) rehearsal time. . . .
    A fellow Southern Gospel composer/arranger, both of us Finale users, were discussing this one day, and he said that sometimes he feels more like a graphic designer. Truth.
    David Bjornstad

1923 Conn New Wonder 86I, Bach 6 1/2 AL
    2018 Wessex EP100 Dolce, Denis Wick 4ABL
    2013 Jinbao JBEP-1111L, Denis Wick 4AM
    2015 Jinbao JBBR-1240, Denis Wick clone mouthpiece of unknown designation
    Cullman (AL) Community Band (Euph Section Leader)
    Brass Band of Huntsville (2nd Bari)